Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Burb Newbie

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2014, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burb Newbie

Hey all, I just got myself a 1997 Chevy Suburban LS 2WD. It has 168k miles on it but it still looks really good and runs decent. I love the blue color with the gray interior Unfortunatly the PO I got it from has never changed out the tranny fluid or filter I am sure. It is almost as black as oil. So it has a few things I need to work on. Lots of little things, cracked windshield, extra steering wheel movement, oil change, tranny fluid change, new tires, new front shocks, new speakers in the back doors. And a whole bunch of dents and door dings on both sides. Still its better than a corvette that barely ran at all. I love the Burb, best purchase I have ever made.
Attached Thumbnails Burb Newbie-img_1425.jpg  
Old February 7th, 2014, 9:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoy the new burb. Treat her well and I am sure she will take care of you.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

My wife and I will enjoy it, we are already planning places to visit. A little bit of work and she will be perfect.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats...
Focus on the Lubrication & Filter issues first. You may have to put new Fluid in the Tranny with a good Cleaner, let it run a while, and change it out again. Differential Fluid should be changed as well. There are users here who have double that mileage and their rides are still going !
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the tips to change out the fluids. Is the differential fluid fairly easy to change out? I am pretty new to working on cars. The internet has been my friend in this department.
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jstnbrwn
Thanks for the tips to change out the fluids. Is the differential fluid fairly easy to change out? I am pretty new to working on cars. The internet has been my friend in this department.
On the Diff, a simple drain from the bottom, fill from upper plug. Check with your local Dealer or Auto Supply for correct Fluid.
But on the Tranny, you'd need to pull the Pan to change the Filter, that may be a "not yet" type work for you. Just have it changed, and you put in the cleaner and run it according to directions, then change again.

Last edited by SWHouston; February 8th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome thanks for the tips. The transmission doesn't look to hard to do, do you refill it with the same tube as the fluid level check is?
Old February 8th, 2014, 9:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. Same tube is used to fill for tranny
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I was just making sure it didn't have a fill plug in the side of it.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jstnbrwn
Awesome thanks for the tips. The transmission doesn't look to hard to do, do you refill it with the same tube as the fluid level check is?
Yes. But if you intend to replace the Filter (and it sure sounds like you should) you'll have to remove the Pan, then, make sure the gasket is sealed well, so no leaks. Can you do that ?

Quick Reply: Burb Newbie