Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

A/C problem on my 1996 suburban

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2013, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C problem on my 1996 suburban

Hi, sorry if the answer is already on the forum, but I cannot find it.

My air conditioning is not working properly, but there is almost no expertise in the Netherlands (Europe) for this car.
<o</o
My A/C stopped working. (it was working perfect, ice cold before it stopped) I checked the compressor and I found out the clutch was not engaging. I ‘jumped’the low pressure sensor (found out on this forum how ) and the clutch engaged. So thought the pressure was too low.
<o</o
I went to an airco ‘expert’ and let it completely refill the R134. (drainand refill) The amount to fill was 2,25 stated on the car.
The connected a machine on the low and hi and let it do its job for 30 minutes. After it was finished the car was started and the clutch engaged. I was happy (for a short time) There was no cold air coming out of the vents.
<o</o
The ‘expert’ told me he can’t find out what the problem is in a short amount of time and I have to leave the car. But I need the car so I took the car with me to come back in a few days.
After driving a couple of miles the airco looks like it starts to cool more and more but still not ‘ice cold’ like it did before.

Now I’m investigating some stuff myself and have a couple of questions.

How much ‘pressure’ should there be on the Hi and Low connection (what should the gauges read)? And should this be measured with a running car?

And if I look on the internet, they always fill the A/C with a running engine and the A/C on at full speed. They did it with the car off and no A/Con. ß Could this caused the problem and need I go back to redo this with the engine running?
<o</o
Thanks in advanced

Last edited by peerware; July 9th, 2013 at 9:57 AM.