Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

can I make '07 suburban do what 08 escalade does

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I make '07 suburban do what 08 escalade does

My wife's '08 Escalade map lights turn on and dim off as she enters and exits the vehicle or operates her remote. I purchased a used '07 suburban with an after market dvd system installed at the exclusion of a dome light, so when I get in or out of the suburban at night it is pitch black in the cabin unless we actuate the map lights manually. That's not a big deal. but it sure would be nice if they came on automatically when the remote was pressed or the door was opened. Is there a simple way to make the map lights of my Suburban turn on like they do in my wife's '08 Cadillac Escalade?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 4:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so your map lights dont turn on and dim at all?
there is a switch right above the small dimmer dial to the left of the steering wheel - if that is pushed your lights wont ever turn on when you open the door. supposed to save the battery if you are going to be in and out a lot.
because they are supposed to do exactly what you are saying - come on and slowly dim
Old August 3rd, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ousig2408
so your map lights dont turn on and dim at all?
there is a switch right above the small dimmer dial to the left of the steering wheel - if that is pushed your lights wont ever turn on when you open the door. supposed to save the battery if you are going to be in and out a lot.
because they are supposed to do exactly what you are saying - come on and slowly dim
You beat me to it

Yup! I would start there first. My guess would be that the previous owner had it off and it never got turned back on. The DVD unit is irrelevant. There are several other dome lights in the vehicle (up front, and in back) that will come on with the doors open and fade out when they are closed.
Old August 5th, 2011, 9:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2003 Suburban they can be controlled through the DIC, seperately for each of the drivers (1 & 2).