Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Carriage Works Grill and other pics

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carriage Works Grill and other pics

I put on the Carriage Works grill that I got the wifey for x-mas. Not too bad of an install. I really took my time making the cut out section look good, but it turned out that the grill covered most of it. The bottom was a bit tricky, but not too hard. Most camera shots didn't turn out great due to the poor light. I was also rushing to get done before kickoff!

And here's some more shots just to show off all my hard work on the paint this weekend. I used all Poorboys products and here's what I did. I washed, clay bar'd, SSR 2.5 (swirl remover), SSR 1, then two coats of EX. It has to dry 24-36 hours, then I'll put another coat on. After that dries, I can put some wax on it. There's Bold and Bright on the tires, and Trim Restore on the textured black plastic.

Rear shot of shaved emblems:

Side shot. Can't wait for that drop kit to arrive:

Neat reflection shot of my truck and boat. Little bit of orange peel there:
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Carriage Works Grill and other pics

Nice work! IMO Black looks the nicest. My previous black truck faded over time and was a PIA to keep clean. The kids also burned themselves on it in the summer. White was a request from them.
Old January 8th, 2007, 3:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a beautiful looking truck. There is nothing like a clean Black vehicle, but I am too lazy to keep up with the maintenance of that awesome color.
Old January 8th, 2007, 3:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definately like the shaved look. How did you fill in the holes from the rear emblem?
Old January 8th, 2007, 4:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the compliments!! [/align][/align]Well, the wife hit a piece of metal in the road that came up and hit the rear driver side door. Before it went in to the bodyshop to get fixed I took off that back piece and asked them to shave it and paint it for me. The shop owner is a buddy of mine, so he didn't charge me anything since I took it off myself. They just melted some plastic in the holes, then sanded down and painted. It shouldn't be too much if you were to take it off and bring it into a shop.[/align]
Old January 8th, 2007, 5:03 PM
CF Active Member

Love your tahoe man. I have a black one myself and am ordering a carriage works grill for it as well. I love the way your grill looks but im most likely buying a bolt on. I dont understand how the bolt on and cut out appearance differs. Would yours just be more recessed or pushed back in the grill than mine would? How hard is the install?
Old January 8th, 2007, 5:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Correct, mine will just be more recessed, and you can't see the "egg crate" behind mine. A bot over will pretty much sit flush with the outside edge of the chrome.[/align][/align]Install was not too bad. You have to cut out the bulk of the egg crate with dikes, then I used an air saw and cut as close as I could to the opening, then I used a sanding block and sanded it all smooth so you could never tell the egg crate was there. After that, it's just a couple of bolts and brackets which are easy to put on. Just make sure to take your time with it. Also the instructions have you tape up damn near the whole front end so that if you hit the chrome or paint, you won't damage it. This is a critical step! The tape saved me some nicks! [/align]
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, How did you decide to go with theCarriage works grill?Do you happen to know if t-rex grills and carriage work grills are similar? If not similar, then which one is better, I have never seen a t-rex grill on a tahoe so I wouldn't know. I think im gonna go with the bolt over. I really don't think you can tell that much of a difference between the cut out and bolt over unless you look really close. Thanks for the info.
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to let you know that the Steet Scene Speed grille also sits BACK into opening and is ot evenwith front edge of chrome surround...

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/70FA90920DF44BF7BBE69D05F6E969EB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/8345795B80E54F9497B253EA44E8C733.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 9th, 2007, 2:11 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Looks sharp! Have you thought about painting the resonator? Did mine and it sort of disappears with a black truck.

Orange peel is a no cost option. []

Quick Reply: Carriage Works Grill and other pics