Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

cb radios for suburban

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 3:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb radios for suburban

has anyone here put in a cb radio in there suburban?if so how did you mount the radio and the antenna and where did you.mount your antenna?i have 2000 suburban.thanks
Old June 5th, 2013, 5:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am thinking about installing in my 03, and looking forward to seeing some nice recommendations here. I've always used an 8' Steel Whip and Spring on my other vehicles, and the only way I can see it working on my Burb, is installing a separate beam on the Luggage Rack on top. Haven't decided just yet about the Radio.
Old June 5th, 2013, 5:54 PM
CF Junior Member

ya i'm going for a with 5 ft center load antenna.can not find a good whip anymore.there all from china and not worthing having lol.as for radio I got the uniden pc76xl.but would be better ideal for small radio.
Old June 6th, 2013, 1:11 AM
Super Moderator

I still have a Whip from several (25+) years ago. On my Burb, there's a couple slots/compartments in the Center Console, which look inviting.
I still have a 24 channel, a couple 40 channel units, and a Midland w/sideband Base Station. Am really looking forward to getting 10/8 at some point.
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:17 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm working on putting one in mine right now. I've had one in a console before and couldn't hear very well (of course that was a CJ-7 and they are not quiet). I'm going for an all in one mic unit, Cobra 75wxst. I had it in my F150 and loved it for the small size.

I got the smallest antenna I could find, mostly because of parking garages, and am hopefully going to be installing this weekend. I'm planning on hiding the box under the dash and using the quick connect to take the unit off and on. I only use it when I'm travelling long distances, so to and from work it will stay in the glove box or console.

I'll try and take some pics and post to show what I did. I think the biggest challenge will be running the antenna wire, it usually is.
Old July 31st, 2013, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator

Looking forward to hearing how it works joeincharlotte, take some pictures for us !
Old August 1st, 2013, 7:48 AM
CF Active Member

LOL, i dont even run a CB in the Semi i drive. I quit using one 15 years ago. I cant imagine putting one in my personal vehicle listening to the profanity , arguing and instigating over the 2-way
Old August 8th, 2013, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok guys, all done. See the attachments for pics. The antenna is mounted in the middle right behind the sunroof; I hid the wire on the rack rail (picture isn't the final product) and then down the rubber channel and poked it through the door rubber gasket where the speaker wires go through. I poked it through the bottom and will be using silicone tape to ensure it stays water tight. That was the most difficult part of the install.

The radio mount is on a support rail above my feet. I ran the power from the fuse box with an "Add-a-fuse". Pretty cool piece that I found online, and is sold at most auto parts stores. The ground went to the main dash bolt.

The connector for the handheld unit just pokes out from below the dash and is hidden when I don't need it. Not a bad install other than the antenna wire.
Attached Thumbnails cb radios for suburban-antenna.jpg   cb radios for suburban-antenna-wire.jpg   cb radios for suburban-box-mount.jpg   cb radios for suburban-fuse-panel.jpg   cb radios for suburban-ground.jpg  

Old August 8th, 2013, 9:45 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I still have a CB that we used to take along when we did caravan family camping.. cell phones have pretty much taken over but I still keep my CB around you just never know when it might come in handy
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Looks good, and looking forward to seeing some picks of the final.

Who made that Magnetic Mount ?

I can see the it's height might not get you as 10-8 as something a little taller. If you do realize limited range, you can always install a inline coupling, and get something a little bigger up there.

If you do want to go with a taller stick, I've seen one set up where they got a another crossbar (junk yard), moved it up right against the first, and made a brackets to mount the Antennas on. (they used two) There's a limit as to how much the Magnets will hold in place.

Even if you decide to stay with the one you have, you might not be able to TX very far, but still can RX most of what's going on.

in2pro,
The CB's are MUCH better for Camping. I've tried the FRS and they just don't cut it on distance. Much prefer the Hand Held CB's !
Most place I go (or have gone) to camp, there is no Cell Reception at all, so I'll take anything even if it's old Tech to communicate.

Last edited by SWHouston; August 8th, 2013 at 1:01 PM.

Quick Reply: cb radios for suburban