Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

cb radios for suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2013, 7:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here it is all set up. I turned it on yesterday and picked up some chatter from about a mile off the interstate. I agree that the antenna won't have the best reception or transmission, but I'm only looking for short range anyway. I mostly listen rather than talk.

I picked up an SWR meter on ebay for 2 bucks and will be calibrating it this weekend. The antenna can be found
<a href="http://www.walcottcb.com/ms512m-inch-tall-magnet-mount-antenna-kit-p-881.html?cPath=377_352_421" target="_blank">here</a>. Not sure who the manufacturer is though. I can't complain so far, although the calibrating might be a bit of a challenge since it just has two rings for tuning and no directions. I had a Lil Wil on my old GMC and loved it, just didn't like that it hit everything I drove under. That was the theory here. The wire was only 12 feet which could have been a problem, but the way I ran it I needed exactly 12 feet, no room to spare.

I made the mic holder out of a wire coat hanger. Sprayed it black and it works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails cb radios for suburban-photo3.jpg  
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,

Ha, I just got to have at least 8' sticking up there, since I'm such a Ratchet Jaw !

Everything looks great, save I couldn't actually tell which component the CB was in your Console.

Got one recommendation though...
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with the Mike hung up high like that. I know it may be convenient, but it might just be an attraction for someone to bust out a window, thinking there's some expensive equipment in there. But, I admit I'm a little more paranoid than most.

Ha, $2 for an SWR Meter !, FINALLY this stuff is getting in budget !
But as far as the Rings go, you get what you can out of it. I'd put a couple marks on the Rings with a Magic Marker, just so I could remember where they were if I drifted off a good spot. You probably should get those marks on the Rings right up front as an Original Placement reference. They might have tuned it for you to some degree. Ya never know, you may be able to get it flat as one can with a Whip. A high SWR really only hurts you on TX.

Everything looks good, and keep an eye out for those Smokies !

KDB-3062, Harris County React 2164. (Those were the good ol days !)
S.W.

Last edited by SWHouston; August 9th, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 3:29 PM
CF Junior Member

just got mine installed and connex 3300 hp 10 meter with a little heater if you know what I mean.cb are good.you never know when cell phones might be gone.
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

I have installed a Connexx 4300 x 300 in my 99 burban. I just don't seem to get out much using a magnet mount Wilson 2000. I have noticed my fans on my CB are on alot due to where I placed the radio on the floor board.

I think I will move the radio and redo all of it.
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

The 8' Whip is 1/4 wave, and literally is flat on SWR's. However it does stick up a ways and get hit occasionally. Same tradeoffs when you select an Antenna which has coil/windings, they don't always provide the range they say they will.
Old September 1st, 2013, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

where can I get a 8' whip at that can handle 500 watts?
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

8 footers aren't designed to handle that, you'll need a 16'.
Just remember to turn corners real slow.
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

ok, so where do I get a 16' whip from?
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
CF Junior Member

that is wrong swhouston.i've been in radio for 15 years.i have myself put 1500 to 2000 watts threw steel whips.never had any issues.just use some good size coax.
Old September 10th, 2013, 5:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000suburbanjeff
that is wrong swhouston.i've been in radio for 15 years.i have myself put 1500 to 2000 watts threw steel whips.never had any issues.just use some good size coax.
x2. I've never had an issue running watts thru a whip. my old 83 burb I just drilled a mount into the back bumper, and when I was going under low clearances I just hooked it on a rain gutter, or in my old jeep I'd poke it thru the roof rack.

I thought about putting one in the 01 when we had it but never got around to it. Since I've been off the road I've got my galaxy 959 and a little no name hood mount antenna and have been quite pleased, but there ain't no locals round here no more (early 2000's there were plenty and I had the whole setup base and mobiles) and after hauling grain I'm just not down to listen to that cause thats about all there is to pick up here.

those little cobras are ok. we put one in pops' motorhome and it seems to work well for what he uses it for (getting out of trucks way)

Quick Reply: cb radios for suburban