Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

CB users

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB users

In case anyone was looking for a better way to mount a CB antenna and not scratch ur roof with a magnet mount or scratch the roof rack with a roof rack mount.

link .... http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/lcc.html

Best brand that fits on it is LARSEN. The brand state police use; of course, the antennas are tuned for CB radios. Plus, truckers pay better respect when you run with the good stuff.

CBs save lives and time. I use for when I travel long distances to be aware .... you can hear when there are accidents, road blocks, bad weather, or camera takers(police). I've taken plenty of alternate routes when highways get closed due to serious accidents. Truckers usually give others the info of the accidents, how long the back ups are, where to get off, and what alternate routes to take.....with NAV you can change your route on your own. And if your lucky, you'll get that time back.

During bad weather, truckers will say where its at and for how long and far.....so you can either get off the road for a pit stop or slow down before weather gets bad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6742/4EE0DE8775F04ACAB4FA3821BB171124.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6742/735FCAC31CA646379149C6DA4C962212.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 15th, 2007, 4:11 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CB users

It's a good idea, but when you mount it like that, it doesn't get a good base for the waves to bounce off of. Instead of being in a round circle, it'll be more like an oval and you won't get an even range for the direction. I personally just put a micro fiber towel cut in a ring to prevent srcatches
Old February 15th, 2007, 9:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are good mounts, Pete. I've talked to much of the world on 10 meter (28.5 MHz, 1 MHz above the CB band.) ham radio while using 10 watts, and one of those mounts on my Turbodiesel Ram. Just make sure you've got a good connection to ground. Granted, the radiation pattern of your antenna will be skewed a bit do the off center mount but it's as good as you can get without punching a hole in the center of the roof. I believe mounts like these are much better than a magnetic mount where ground is capacitively coupledat the antenna.
Old February 16th, 2007, 2:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's true on the mount. Thanks for mentioning here. Folks ought to know all info to help select best option for them.

A fender mount will skew the antenna reach pattern, but put a good CB on it and it should be fine. My peaked 240 channel Deer Slayer CB radio does about 10 mile radius on a good day. About 5 on rainy bad days. And thats without the linear amp I have.

Some folks will run a ground from the mount directly to the battery to get the absolute best signal. To me thats over kill, but I've seen it done.

I use to use a magnet mount with napkin, but using anything that isnt metal blocks the magnet from grounding itself......making it less effective.....although its still a better circular reach pattern than a fender mount.