Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Changing Transmission Fluid/Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2008, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Transmission Fluid/Maintenance

Hi,

New to the forums. I've got an 01 Tahoe with roughly 75000 miles. I change the oil and fuel filter at proper intervals. Noticed though that it has been running a little sluggish especially when pulling our boat.

Going to change the oil/filter this weekend plus changing out the plugs also. I was reading though that its important to change out the transmission fluid and the filter. I'm embarassed to say that I have never done that

Any help to locate or steps to change that would be great!

Hopefully after all that is done, all the power will be restored.

Thanks for any help!

Brian
Old April 10th, 2008, 5:26 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts
Default RE: Changing Transmissin Fluid

Welcome to the Tahoe forum.

While it would be a good idea to change the fluid and filter, I wouldn't count on any increase in power. How's your plug wires and air filter?
Old April 10th, 2008, 6:07 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree, Trans fluid will not restore lost power. I'd be checking ignition components, plugs, wires, cap,rotor, coil.

It would be a good idea to change the trans fluid as preventative maintenance, especialy since you do some towing with it. The best way to change out the fluid would be to take it in to a local shop, have them hook a machine up to it, flush the fluid, and change the filter. If you just drop the pan and change the filter, you are only getting about 25% of the fluid. You don't get the fluid in the lines, cooler, and torque converter. If you plan on flushing and changing the filter, It is important to flush the system first, then change the filter. If you change the filter first, then flush, you will be flushing dirty fluid through a new, clean filter, and may as well have not changedthe filterat all
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions...I think I will just take it in to an oil change center. I was looking at prices yesterday and $90 doesn't sound bad since I have never done it before.

I picked up some new plugs from the Chevy dealership yesterday and will be installing them this weekend. I've got an Amsoil airfilter that I will recharge also while changing oil and fuel filter.

As for the plug wires, what am I looking for? Frays, Tear, etc?...
Old April 11th, 2008, 2:49 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try soaking them with a spray bottle....watch for any arching or changes in the idle. You can also do a physical inspection for anything obvious, but the spray bottle will pick that up
Old April 11th, 2008, 5:43 PM
Administrator

Unless you have some experience with an oil change center, aka Jiffy Lube. I've heard a lot of horror stories.

Also go with shawnvw's suggestion re: getting it flushed.
Old April 11th, 2008, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the all the advice!

Old April 14th, 2008, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

If you are wanting your tranny to last, do NOT get it flushed out by a shop. Do some more research on this subject. There have been some guys talking about this recently over at fullsizechevy.com I know from past experience as well, it was not a chevy but I was in a rush and didn't have time do to the change myself and I let a lube shop vac it out... Well, needless to say it started slipping something fearce a few months later. My lesson learned, take the time to drop the pan and change the filter.

Just go down to NAPA or whatever shop you have locally and buy the filter and tranny fluid and change it yourself. You will be much happier that you did it this way than the other ($1500-2000 rebuild)....
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Thanks for your input. Could you PM me the site that was discussing this as I'd like to learn more about this subject?
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Interesting primetime, let me know of the site that was discussing this. I should probably take care of it soon since it has never been changed.

As for the tuneup on Saturday, the oil was changed, fuel filter changed, and changed out the plugs and wires. Truck runs a little more smoother. I put my 20s back on there Saturday also which I know are a bit heavier than stock. Acceleration is a bit more responsive and holding speed is better.

I think I may hold off on the Tran Fluid change for a little bit. I was thinking my next thing to do iscap, rotor, coil? Suggestions? I found this from Schucks http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=4013

Thanks for the advice.

B

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid/Maintenance