Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Changing Transmission Fluid/Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing Transmissin Fluid

Here's the way I do them:[/align][/align]First drop the pan and drain all that fluid, and change the "filter". Be sure everthing is clean and put it back togethter.[/align]Fill through dipstick, the pan capacity of fluid.[/align]Find the transmission fluid cooler line, and trace it to the radiator/cooler.[/align]Disconnect it, and run a line from the output, down to a bucket with measurments on it. (Be sure about the output. On mine, I thought the fluid would go into the top of the radiator, and out the bottom, but it's exactly the opposite.[/align]Once hooked up and ready to go, have a buddy watch the bucket and hose, and start the car, and begin to run through gears slowly.[/align]Have your buddy hollar when you get to 3 quarts or so, stop the engine, and put 3 fresh quarts in. [/align]Continue to do this until all of the capacity is replaced, and I even do an extra run just to try to get as much fresh fluid in as possible.[/align][/align]I did this because I wanted Amsoil in there, and no local shop would do it for me. It's a bit time consuming, but not too hard at all. Now I'll just plan on replacing the pan fluid with fresh more often, and it should be just fine.[/align]
Old April 14th, 2008, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your suggestion!
Old April 14th, 2008, 4:55 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: freyguy

Here's the way I do them:[/align][/align]First drop the pan and drain all that fluid, and change the "filter". Be sure everthing is clean and put it back togethter.[/align]Fill through dipstick, the pan capacity of fluid.[/align]Find the transmission fluid cooler line, and trace it to the radiator/cooler.[/align]Disconnect it, and run a line from the output, down to a bucket with measurments on it. (Be sure about the output. On mine, I thought the fluid would go into the top of the radiator, and out the bottom, but it's exactly the opposite.[/align]Once hooked up and ready to go, have a buddy watch the bucket and hose, and start the car, and begin to run through gears slowly.[/align]Have your buddy hollar when you get to 3 quarts or so, stop the engine, and put 3 fresh quarts in. [/align]Continue to do this until all of the capacity is replaced, and I even do an extra run just to try to get as much fresh fluid in as possible.[/align][/align]I did this because I wanted Amsoil in there, and no local shop would do it for me. It's a bit time consuming, but not too hard at all. Now I'll just plan on replacing the pan fluid with fresh more often, and it should be just fine.[/align]

The only problem with doing it this way, is when you change the filter first, you run all 14- 20 litres of dirty fluid through a clean filter when you are flushing it, making it dirty again.