Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Chevy Suburban models etc...?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2019, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Suburban models etc...?

Hello,

Posted in new members section but perhaps that was the wrong place to get any information.

I am interested in getting a 4x4. I have been looking at a fair few different type of vehicles (Wrangler, Land Rover Defender etc). As I looked at what I tend to do more often and what I don't do... I started contemplating the Suburban.

We like to overland. Travel around the country, go camping, visit waterholes/gorges/hot springs (which are all on fairly rough off-roads. I was always under the impression that I need 37" wheels and etc etc etc, but as I listened to many people... a purpose built "off road" vehicle like a Wrangler/Defender is not going to be nice driving 3000-5000miles around a country. I am only 5 foot 8 and I don't find the wranglers comfortable at all. Too squeezy, no space, etc.

Anyway,

I am looking at a Chevy suburban because I love how they look, I know they are comfortable etc.

Theres 2 generations I am curious about... the 1973-1991 generation (probably looking more like 88-91) or the 1992-1999 before they redesigned the vehicle to be even more round in 2000 onwards.

I want a Diesel chevy suburban because Diesel will just have the economy petrol wont, and for touring remote country, I need all the distance I can get and availability of fuel, some places only have Diesel (yes I am talking down here in Australia).

Between those 2 generations... EGR/DPF/CAT - which ones have this and which do not?

Solid axel/IFS - which?

I read something elsewhere about the diesel pump or something being totally unreliable... any input on this or ways around it - are there ways to have this problem remedied these days? (the posts I found seemed quite old)

Anything else I should know looking at these...

Thanks