Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Climate Control bulbs burnt out?

Old December 6th, 2007, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control bulbs burnt out?

2001 Chevy Tahoe - my buttom buttons do not light up anymore on my climate control panel. The buttons are for my air conditioning circulation, A/C and rear defrost. The yellow light comes on when I push the button to let me know they are on, but when I have my lights on (dark outside) they do not light up like the rest of my instrument cluster. It appears the bulbs are burnt out to light them up at night. All 4 are burnt out so I find that weird. Dealer said need whole new climate control piece for $208...I would imagine there may be a cheaper fix? Is there a way to just replace the bulbs?
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Climate Control bulbs burnt out?

Mine did the same thing. It's been a year or so since I took mine apart. They were little LED's soldered on the board. I checked the dealer too and they told me the same thing. I've seen replacement control units for sale fairly cheap, but they are used and who knows if its worth it. I would think you could get little LEDs from Radio Shack and change them out. Or take it to a stereo repair place. I think it's annoying, but I've been living with it.
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try emailing gmpartsdirect.com. Their prices are much lower then the dealer
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

Go to Ebay and do a search for "tahoe climate control" and you'll see quite a few in the mid 20's to 30's price. You can play around with a used one if it has a problem or you might just get perfectly lucky on a used one. If it doesn't work you're not out much compared to what the dealer wanted.
Old December 7th, 2007, 1:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem on 95 silverado on the A/C controls and the radio. I had a few burnt out. They are small bulbs. The panal that I had used 4 bulbs. I couldn't find the exact bulbs but I used some small 12volt bulbs you can get at radioshack. they cost about 1.50 for 2. I heated the old lamp pins and removed them. Then I solderd new ones in their place. They have been working for the past 3 years.