Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Clunking downshifting after throttle body clean

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2019, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking downshifting after throttle body clean

I cleaned my throttle body which was really dirty to try and eliminated a rough idle I had.
Afterward around 20miles of driving it definitely upshifted a lot better but I have a terrible downshift really noticeable when slowing from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and sounds like transmission is clunking and car is trying to lunge forward.
Figured the computer would re learn after 300-400 miles but still exactly the same! Not sure what to do next. I called a local garage and they said to reset with scan tool to relearn idle and wanted $100 for it? Any ideas?
Old September 7th, 2019, 2:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by James Mitchell
I cleaned my throttle body which was really dirty to try and eliminated a rough idle I had.
Afterward around 20miles of driving it definitely upshifted a lot better but I have a terrible downshift really noticeable when slowing from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and sounds like transmission is clunking and car is trying to lunge forward.
Figured the computer would re learn after 300-400 miles but still exactly the same! Not sure what to do next. I called a local garage and they said to reset with scan tool to relearn idle and wanted $100 for it? Any ideas?
I'd disconnect the battery, hook it back up,then drive it. It night not work, but its a cheap idea. As for scan tools,lots of places will rent you one,or just reset your OBD II right there.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Its about the drive cycles, you will need to drive , shut off engine, start drive, repeat for about a week and it should settle in. You should be noticing more high idle and not so much shifting issues. If need be, try disconnecting the battery again. Low battery voltage can also affect transmission performance, so consider checking battery voltage and alternator output.