Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

concealed carry hiding spot?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Really, whats the purpose? "Oh wait let me get my pistol from......" Keep it handy.
Well he said he wasn't looking for a place to get it out quickly and under the second row seat isn't any handier than the jack storage cubby.

If you want quick access, fit it in the door pocket.
Old November 12th, 2012, 5:15 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have tried that area but it so cavernous that it does require some effort to get at if it slides down...I do use the small storage compartment back there for it sometimes, though it can be difficult to get at if we have gear back there....
Old November 13th, 2012, 7:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I was going somewhere my gun wasn't welcome I usually stashed it in the console, or in the tub in the back that I carried tools and floor jack in. what I like to do tho is modify a paddle or belt holster and mount it inside the center console you could prolly come up with some sort of a insert to cover it so that it would be concealed in the console..

the 01 we had was missing the cup holders in front of the console so I could bury it in there if I left it in a holster, but without it could slide up under the dash and out on the floor.

if your looking to have one in it all the time, your gonna want it where you can reach it from the drivers seat, since thats where it's most likely your going to need it. I'm not sure I'd (personally) would be cool with having to try to get to the back or under the 2nd row to fetch my weapon.

as for the open carry comment, double and quadruple check your local laws, OC went into effect here in KS and the stinger is that it doesn't carry over to your car (unless you have CCH) so people were getting messed with getting stopped with a gun on their hip.

:chug:
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only that you have one, but I think "what" you have may be just as important.
Though I favor larger bores, I seriously consider something like a 9mm with a high round capacity for that. And, getting used to fireing Left Handed, may be an advantage too.

Drink and Drive, may take your life, but
Shooting and Driving, may save it.
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Administrator

GM sells a tray that fits the console that is about 3" deep which leaves a lot of room below it. Actually makes the console usable.
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:41 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is a couple of months old but thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone might be interested in the future.

Just added the "Lock'er Down" - the LD2011X (not the E model - the X adds a TON more room after being installed)

Mobile Security Plus

I didn't bother installing the front and back panel and cross bar, it's secure enough with just the left, right and top panels bolted together and you gain a little more room.

After it was installed the safe, I bought some "industrial strength" velco and a Maxpedition holster. I put in the velcro on the back of the holster, inserted my CCW and then peeled the velcro backing.

I then, carefully lined up where I wanted the holster and pressed the whole setup so that the velcro adhesive was placed where I wanted.

Here's the Maxped holster that I used:

SNEAK™ Universal Holster Insert with mag Retention

The only thing that isn't perfect is that holster sits a little bit to far towards the driver side under the lip of the safe but it's not horrible.

My only knock on the safe is that there is no notch in the front edge to be able to use the 12v power that's located inside the console and run a cord out of the safe with being able to close the safe lid.

Last edited by n2advnture; January 14th, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Administrator

n2advnture: Welcome to the forum.

Nice pics.
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Clever design...
Old January 14th, 2014, 1:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this:

Chevrolet Tahoe Floor Console: 2007 - 2013

it's very similiar to the post above. The console vault I have, I ordered with a barrel key to open, I didn't want to fumble around with 2 digit or 3 digit code, if I needed to get my weapon in a hurry. If I'm in the car driving, I always have my weapon outside of this vault. I only use the vault to store my weapon when I am somewhere that I can't bring my weapon into. This vault has a small false plate at the bottom of it for extra storage, I can possibly fit another magazine maybe two in it for my Glock 30 SF. Its good construction from good material. I dont think a thief will have enough time to get into it, if that is even possible. lol.

Last edited by Typerod; January 15th, 2014 at 4:05 PM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 4:27 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update, that is good info to know...
That is the idea, to be able to secure or hide it somewhere that if your vehicle was broken into, a firearm could not be easily found in the rummaging.
We take a firearm when we go camping and travel, but if everyone is down at the lake swimming, you likely don't need it with you at that very moment and it needs to be secured away, or very well hidden.

Quick Reply: concealed carry hiding spot?