Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Coolant fluid change

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2012, 4:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rickp
Hey guys,
I'm due to flush and replace the coolant on my 02 Tahoe LT 5.3L.

In the manual it says to remove the cylinder block plugs and drain the coolant. Here's my question, I've looked all over the bottom of that engine and I can't find any cylinder plug. Could it be possible that my truck doesn't have them. As per the book there's supposed to be 2 of them, one on each side.

If I dont' have them, what i was planning on doing to flush the system was to drain the radiator by the drain plug, then disconnect the main radiator hose, stick the water hose in the radiator turn the water and engine on, put the heater on high and let everything flush out. Am I on track here?

Thanks guys.
R.
Two things, first you don't want to stick your water hose into something that could potentially draw bad water back into your house water system. Next, unless you remove the thermostat you will only flush up to it as it will close due to temp.
Old November 29th, 2012, 9:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey guys,
I'm due to flush and replace the coolant on my 02 Tahoe LT 5.3L.

In the manual it says to remove the cylinder block plugs and drain the coolant. Here's my question, I've looked all over the bottom of that engine and I can't find any cylinder plug. Could it be possible that my truck doesn't have them. As per the book there's supposed to be 2 of them, one on each side.

If I dont' have them, what i was planning on doing to flush the system was to drain the radiator by the drain plug, then disconnect the main radiator hose, stick the water hose in the radiator turn the water and engine on, put the heater on high and let everything flush out. Am I on track here?

Thanks guys.
R.
Ignore the plug removal... the rest will depend on how "bad" the current fluid is... if its still relatively clear and clean, I would remove the hoses and T-stat and replace only what comes out on its own...
The reason being unless you know you have very good mineral free/low mineral content water, you could be introducing calcium and and other minerals that don't react well with metals at high temp by using city water...
I personally prefer the pre-mix as it is the correct dilution and is made with distilled water....
If on the other hand the fluid is pretty gunked up, flushing may be the only way to go..

I know others express concerns about cost of pre-mix vs full solution, to me its not a concern of cost as I am likely to only ever change the fluid 1 or 2 times in the life of the vehicle (1 time every 5 yrs)
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Ignore the plug removal... the rest will depend on how "bad" the current fluid is... if its still relatively clear and clean, I would remove the hoses and T-stat and replace only what comes out on its own...
The reason being unless you know you have very good mineral free/low mineral content water, you could be introducing calcium and and other minerals that don't react well with metals at high temp by using city water...
I personally prefer the pre-mix as it is the correct dilution and is made with distilled water....
If on the other hand the fluid is pretty gunked up, flushing may be the only way to go..

I know others express concerns about cost of pre-mix vs full solution, to me its not a concern of cost as I am likely to only ever change the fluid 1 or 2 times in the life of the vehicle (1 time every 5 yrs)
The condition of my fluid is not too bad. As for mixture, I'm not using city water, I went out and got some destilled water to add to the system.

R.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

50-50 pre-mix = $12/gal
Straight = $6/gal
==> water = $18/gal

I guess I worked too hard to pay that kind of money for water.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
50-50 pre-mix = $12/gal
Straight = $6/gal
==> water = $18/gal

I guess I worked too hard to pay that kind of money for water.
$18/gal???? Where do you get your water from?? I payed less than $3 for the gal. I payed just over $10 for all the water I needed. If using distilled helps prevent corrosion and part failure then it's worth it.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 8:17 PM
Administrator

$18/gal???? Where do you get your water from?? I payed less than $3 for the gal. I payed just over $10 for all the water I needed. If using distilled helps prevent corrosion and part failure then it's worth it.
73shark is using that fuzzy math He gets the numbers from the 6 extra dollars per gallon of 50/50 mix over the full strength... I purchased 3 gallons of 50/50 hence the $18....
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Thank you.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
73shark is using that fuzzy math He gets the numbers from the 6 extra dollars per gallon of 50/50 mix over the full strength... I purchased 3 gallons of 50/50 hence the $18....
Ohh!!!! I get it.

Well thank you all for the help.
Old December 6th, 2012, 3:46 PM
Administrator

What did you decide to do or should I say how to do...