Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELP- 2000 Suburban Electrical Problems Driving me Nertz!!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2018, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP- 2000 Suburban Electrical Problems Driving me Nertz!!!!

We have a 2000 Suburban that has 80k miles. It's sat a lot of its 18 years. Has mainly used for long trips/vacations. Preface: we've found out with our maintenance that the early 2000 Suburban models have a combo of leftover 1999 and new 2000 parts!

The problem: The rear air unit & upper brake light went out last summer. Mechanic replaced the rear air unit twice (along with fuse & bulb in light -- per his word). We paid a lot of money to get the unit working and still nothing!! He says that the wiring has corrosion from spending time in salt air (based on consulting with a friend). He did not find the corrosion - he just says it is corrosion based on consulting with someone he knows. He was not an expert with electrical problems and did not want to go further with the issue & charge us more money (appreciated). While the vehicle did make several trips to FL over 17 years it was owned by previous owners (parents), it was not a permanent resident there.

Has anyone experienced corrosion in the wiring due to salt air?

Additional issues: Over the past two weeks the clock has started to reset back to 12:00 and the horn does not blow.

The brake and tow lights work perfectly fine -- though they are probably wired separately. Battery connections have been checked for corrosion and appear to be clean. The fuses were checked also. Any assistance/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if he didn't find corrosion its all speculation.

what specifically is not working with the rear hvac? Your description is to vague to provide any suggestions.
-the high mount brake light; check for power and grd to the light
-the horn; locate the horn and check for power and grd to the horn
-the clock; the radio will reset if it loses power intermitently or has an internal fault. you would have to monitor the 12volt constant power supply wire to the radio.
Old January 6th, 2018, 1:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like body control module to me.
Old January 6th, 2018, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for responding! The rear air/heat unit will not respond to turning the front or rear control panel ***** at all. Nothing with pressing any buttons either. Nada.
I had considered after the post that it might be the computer. Really hoping it's not.
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

turn the rear hvac blower control to the highest speed....make sure the front control is not over riding the rear control...key in run....go to the rear quarter trim panel...the hvac unit is behind it...hammer fist the panel and see if the blower motor starts running. if it does...the 18 year old blower motor is worn out.

the bcm controls the brake light but not the hvac system, horn, clock/radio.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

My rear a/c went out a while back and ended up replacing the control module in rear passenger side area (see first link). This fixed our rear air from blowing hot air only.

I know you can pull the HVAC fuse and this will auto re-calibrate the climate control, which has helped me on several occasions when the blend doors seem to have stuck or gotten out of sync, etc. I've included that troubleshooting below. (second link)

With regards to the BCM - I just replaced mine and you may want to read through the posting, as it may be of some help even though we have different model years. (last link)

https://sparkys-answers.com/2011/08/...procedure.html

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...ght-help-1930/

Hope some of this helps you out!

-Nick