Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Coolant leak somewhere around firewall on passenger side. 2003 LT Suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2019, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak somewhere around firewall on passenger side. 2003 LT Suburban

Hey gang!
So, my 2003 Suburban LT has sprung a coolant leak that seems to be originating from somewhere around the firewall on the passenger side. I'm planning to rip into this to repair it tomorrow and was wondering where you guys think the leak may be coming from.

The heat is working well so, I don't think there's ay reason to replace the heater core at least.

What are y'all's thoughts as to where this leak is coming from?
Old January 10th, 2019, 12:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by armitchell
Hey gang!
So, my 2003 Suburban LT has sprung a coolant leak that seems to be originating from somewhere around the firewall on the passenger side. I'm planning to rip into this to repair it tomorrow and was wondering where you guys think the leak may be coming from.

The heat is working well so, I don't think there's ay reason to replace the heater core at least.

What are y'all's thoughts as to where this leak is coming from?
Bad hose or tube? Can you post a pic?
Old January 11th, 2019, 7:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I suspect a leak could be from the quick disconnect fittings at the firewall, passenger side. We had one break in August on our 2005 Yukon. Internet search showed many with same break or leak there.

Old January 11th, 2019, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

The thing is, there's zero coolant leaking down the face of the firewall. Everything seems to be coming from inside the firewall and leaking down on the passenger side frame rail. So, maybe something inside the firewall has sprung a leak? Is that even possible?
Old January 11th, 2019, 1:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

The thing is, there's zero coolant leaking down the face of the firewall. Everything seems to be coming from inside the firewall and leaking down on the passenger side frame rail. So, maybe something inside the firewall has sprung a leak? Is that even possible?
Heater core leaking??

Old January 11th, 2019, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
Heater core leaking??
Sadly, I think you're right. Definitely not excited about digging into the dash to replace it.
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Sorry, I'm a bit dense - is this leak interior or exterior?
Old January 13th, 2019, 12:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Sadly, I think you're right. Definitely not excited about digging into the dash to replace it.
If your heater core is leaking you should be able to smell the anti-freeze when your heater is hot. Have you checked the drain hose for the climate control box yet?