Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

coolant leaking

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2018, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leaking

2003 with the 5.3l

My dad asked me to come look at his burb, it got really hot on him on his way home from work last week. He put more coolant in and has been driving it just a few miles when absolutely needed and its dropping from full line to just about empty.

I crawled under there and I see 2 lines coming off the radiator going under the block so i assume trans cooler? im used to older fords lol. Anyways those 2 lines were all wet. So i added some more fluid, let it warm up and crawled under there. the level had already dropped quite a bit and the lines were barely wet again, I had cleaned them off. Then I saw dripping from the plate that goes under the front axle. Crawled back there and hes got a pretty good drip coming from behind the drivers side motor mount. . . I didnt know if it might be the gasket for the water pump? theres no wetness on the motor at all until you get to that point. Any help is appreciated Im gonna go track down some diagrams and see if i cant figure something out
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a corroded freeze plug if it’s not the water pump or intake manifold. Shine a flashlight along the block. Look for a round casting with a silver or brass disk. If it’s leaking, it will need to be replaced.

SD
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If you can't find it, try a bottle of Bar's Stop Leak. I've had good luck with it on older vehicles.
Old January 18th, 2018, 7:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find the leak?