Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

crankshaft repair sleeve???

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft repair sleeve???

99, suburban k1500, 130k, 5.7l, 4x4 (no front drive shaft)

anyone installed a crankshaft repair sleeve? curious on time it would take and maybe some how-to's. its my understanding all i will need is a new crank shaft seal and the sleeve. also assuming all it will take is a screw driver to take the seal off? not sure how to install the repair sleeve but hoping its easy. any pointers? tips? reason for this is replaced worn harmonic balancer (rotted/cracked rubber, and tiny groove on old h.b.) when the new h.b. is on it has a slight wobble which is considerable when the crank pulley is on. more so even when the old h.b. is was on. thanks for any feedback!!!
Old April 17th, 2012, 9:56 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Put one on my Corvette crank and as I remember it was a slip fit. Might have used some Loctite to retain it but don't remember or maybe it came w/ a sleeve that allowed it to be driven on w/ a hammer.

The purpose of the sleeve is to cover the groove in the end of the crank caused by the seal.
Old April 18th, 2012, 5:48 AM
CF Beginner

Ty sir! Poor vette. All worked out good I presume.
Old April 18th, 2012, 9:04 AM
Administrator

All good. I remember that the sleeve came w/ a tool that resembled a spray can lid to use to press the sleeve on to the crank.
Old April 18th, 2012, 9:26 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You lost me, are you just talking about the front? A crankshaft repair sleeve would be used on the rear, to cover a groove that can cause an oil leak. The front seal rides on the harmonic dampener. You sure the crank snout isn't bent? You might want to check for run-out using a dial indicator, with the dampener off.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Not sure if the snout is bent. The sleeve is for the front as my old hb has a groove in it. @73shark are we talking about the same thing or were you talking about the rear as well?
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Site Ambassador

But why are you going to put your old/worn/rotted/cracked/grooved dampener back on?
Getting a wobble with two different ones tells me that the cause is less likely to be the dampener.
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Nah the old one didn't have a noticeable wobble. I just kept eating belts. The new one however has a little wobble to it which is extrapolated when I put the crank pulley on. I'm not leaking any fluid but my old hb had a groove in it. so I figured (hoping) that the repair sleeve and a new seal will cure the wobble. Before I replaced the hb I had a lil vibration at 21k-23k ± and with the new hb it cleared it up a littled bit which leads me to believe I'm on the right path.
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Camaro 69 is right. It had been about 15 years ago that I put it on. I forgot.

But you shouldn't need a sleeve if you are putting a new balancer on..
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Site Ambassador

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket
Nah the old one didn't have a noticeable wobble. I just kept eating belts. The new one however has a little wobble to it which is extrapolated when I put the crank pulley on.
Can you see the inner hub of the dampener wobbling too? You'd have to run it with the lower pulley off. Make sure it isn't just the outer ring being outta whack and pushing on the pulley. It could be defective.

Quick Reply: crankshaft repair sleeve???