Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cross Streets in Nav

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2009, 7:42 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cross Streets in Nav

So my sat nav doesn't have an address I need to go to today. OK, well yahoo does; so I will put in the closes cross street to the destination.

I enter the city.

I enter the street 1

now I am forced to enter a street #, even though 'cross street' is right below!

was this system seriously designed to be difficult to use?! my $100 4" GPS is 10x easier to use!

I do IT for a living... I know electronic gizmos... this sat nav needs to go back to school...

I cleaned out the glove box; so the sat nav manual is at home... the factory manual is a PDF on yahoo's otherwise useless site; but it doesn't have the sat nav one...

anyone know how I enter a cross street as a destination?

Also, when I want to go to a job (I do on-site IT work) then go home; I enter that I want to go home first, then add a way point... but when I do it that way it just gets me 'close' to the way point... not even telling me which side of the street it is on... (like it does with a destination) why are they different? I entered an ADDRESS as a waypoint, which must mean... hey I want to go THERE... not CLOSE to there.. i want to go EXACTLY there... stupid thing.

Does anyone know the e-mail of a programmer on the sat nav team at GM? I would LOVE to get some source code! i'd learn any language to rewrite this thing better...

there are whole web sites dedicated to hacking the 'mygig' and I assume soon the ford sync...

I wish I had considered the F-150 more before the Tahoe... the Ford Sync alone might have sold me...
Old July 24th, 2009, 6:10 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought you wanted a Toyota?
Old July 24th, 2009, 7:18 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

I know it's in the Nav manual cause I had to look it up.
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:25 AM
CF Addict

Default Toyota

I want toyota build quality and reliablity... however I am stuck with this Tahoe for next 10 years at least... I'm not buying another vehicle (daily driver, excludes toys) until then...

I can't seem to find a link to any site with the info; but I don't think Chevy made it to the top 10 for reliability. I know Ford moved up the list, Lexus (Toyota), Honda and porsche were in the top 3...

Not only that; Chevy is WAY behind in high-tech stuff for people like me. The ford sync destroys anything chevy has. I think Acura was the first with satnav, or possibly the S-Class. It took chevy until 2009 to get any form of bluetooth built in... Tell me who owns a Tahoe and doesn't have a cell phone? $50,000+ vehicle, YES, but phone, no way! I demand my vehicle have a built in phone that only works.. when I'm in it... wow 1984 here I come! Then they 1/2 *** it by showing me (when it works) the incoming phone # on the dash... Like anyone of my generation knows who some random number belongs to?! the PHONE has the NAME in the address book, and is 100% capable of pushing the NAME to the vehicle... but chevy says no... only the #... lame.

the sat nav has about 200 other things wrong with it; I will dig out my list if you like...

it's too slow, updates are all wrong, no built in hard drive. sitting in the vehicle, engine and radio OFF you can hear the DVD spinning / reading.. WHY?! the car is OFF!!! stupid.

the navigation gets you CLOSE to your desitination; but not as close as a $100 GPS... waypoints are entered all wrong.

you can scroll your recent destinations on the move; but you can't scroll your address book (what's the diff?!)

the voice commands for destinations never worked on mine since new, chevy STILL has no fix for it over 2 MONTHS later... I hope to get a 2010 sat nav out of this...

the voice command button for making a call and changing the radio station are different, WHY?! it's my VOICE, in a lexus they are the SAME button...

the sat nav doesn't do weather, doesn't do gas prices, doesn't do.... much...

don't even get me started on OnStar's emergency service... their rolling diagnostic is neat and all, and having a personal secretary over the phone is great; but not calling 911 in the event of an airbag deployment... lawsuit waiting to happen... i just hope I'm not in that accident...

BUT; overall, I am actually happy with my Tahoe; its just a few small things that irk me.

The ride, the look, the MPG, the towing, the refined looking (yet cheap as hell) dash... the HVAC isn't bad... the cooled seats make me want to kill my self just a little less... etc..

Chevy just needs someone under 100 on the electronics design team... AND most of it (all of it) is software!

Just give me the source code for the sat nav and the bluetooth modules, and I will be on my way. I could rewrite those things to be amazing!

also, the lame voice on the sat nav and onstar... need to go away, they are just wrong...

Voice Recognition Canceled... YES I KNOW IT WAS, I HIT THE BUTTON, now shut up and play music.

INCOMING CALL FROM _______ isn't cute or helpful, it's lame. just say incoming call and show me the NAME on the dash.

Call Ended, isn't needed, I know I ended the call!

displaying the # the entire duration of the call, not useful! I know who i'm talking to, its not like I forgot in the last 5 minutes!

not saying the street name in an almost $3,000 GPS is not acceptable...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; July 27th, 2009 at 8:40 AM.
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:59 AM
Administrator

Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
Old July 27th, 2009, 5:37 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you hate the thing so much why did you buy it?
take the hit, return it, and buy a lexus
Old July 28th, 2009, 7:32 AM
CF Addict

Default hate

ohh, no, I certainly don't hate it!

I love my Tahoe... I just don't love the sat nav system... it's beyond retarded... like I said; it's all software; a few good updates and this thing would be 100% perfect! Just get someone under 65 on the electronics design team!
Old July 28th, 2009, 9:30 PM
Administrator

Hey watch the disparaging remarks about us ol' farts.