Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Curious about Ethanol.. Any of you using it in your flex Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about Ethanol.. Any of you using it in your flex Tahoe?

I noticed there's a couple places to buy it here and was wondering what, if any precautions you have to take. Do you need to make sure your tank is about empty or just fill it anytime with it? I understand it doesn't deliver the same amount of gas mileage but it's 3.15 a gallon here so I'm thinking if it dropped mileage 10 percent it would still be a slight win.

Give me the scoop..

Thanks... Gary..
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Curious about Ethanol.. Any of you using it in your flex Tahoe?

E85 will drop your mpg about 20-25%. E10 will reduce it slightly. Don't think it matters when you put in.

I stay away from it for several reasons. mpg reduction, my tax dollars are subsidizing it, and grain based ethanol takes about the same amount of energy to produce as you get which means unless farmers are using solar or wind or nuke power, we aren't reducing our oil comsumption. Plus we have a tariff on sugar based ethanol. Plus it seems like a George Carlin (RIP) skit where we put our food in our trucks. [] You think a steak is expensive now, wait 'til the beef that's being fed with $10/bushel corn hits your local meat market. [:'(]
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nowhere to buy it in the Phoenix metropolitan area so the only benefit I'm getting from having a Flex-Fuel vehicle is the nifty parking tag that I get from work for having what they call an alternative fuel vehicle and when it's 115 degrees outside - I get to park close to the building!
Old June 30th, 2008, 9:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maricopa County has finally decided to allow E85 sales from their previous ban on alternative fuels years ago to reduce emissions in the county. There is now E85 available at Western States Petroleum at 450 S 15th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85007. It is a little hard to find in an industrial section of town. Hopefully there will be more stations soon for those that want to spend more money on their fuel. The current price last week was $3.50 a gallon. Many places selling it across the country are just ripping off the public charging just 20 cents less than regular unleaded! According to the government it takes 1.3 gallons of E85 to equal 1 gallon of regular gasoline because of the loss of mpg economy. So if you got 15 mpg on unleaded you would now only get 11.54 mpg -So at $4.09 (current price here in Phoenix) per gallon of unleaded and $3.50 per gallon of E85 it would take 6.66 gals of unleaded to go 100 miles for a total cost of $27.24 and 8.66 gals of E85 for a total cost of $30.31 so where is the "big" savings??? Another government boondoggle!