Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

To Flex-Fuel or not to Flex-Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2014, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Flex-Fuel or not to Flex-Fuel?

... that is the question.

Total noob here, but read thru a zillion posts so far. Very useful site, thanks.

Just bought my wife an '02 4WD Tahoe with a "Z" code vin, which implies that it it a flex-fuel model from all the info I've been able to find. However, there's an itty-bitty sticker on the inside of the fuel-fill door that says to not use flex-fuel with it.

No badges on the body, nothing either way in the manual.

So which is it? How do I determine for sure?

Thanks!
Old December 12th, 2014, 7:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

look for the rpo code L59 in the glove box. if you have that code its a flex fuel engine option.
The following users liked this post:
HHR guru (May 27th, 2022)
Old December 12th, 2014, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, T2. Yes, I do have the L59 code on the glove-box sticker. And, as mentioned, the "Z" code in the 8th position in the VIN. Therefore everything, except the fuel-door sticker, says it is.

How can I confirm?
Old December 12th, 2014, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator

post the last eight of your vin and I will check the build sheet.
Old December 13th, 2014, 4:08 AM
CF Beginner

Here's it all is... <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->1GNEK13Z22J157050. Thanks for offering to do this.

A build-sheet, is that something I have access to? I've been wanting to know exactly what came with/on the truck when new, but the window-sticker and related documentation is obviously long-gone.

Probably considered OCD, but I make it a point to keep every piece of paper/envelope/folder/etc that came with every vehicle I've owned. (Who knows, maybe some day our '07 Dodge Mini-Van will become a cult-classic and I'll be rich beyond my wildest dreams.)
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Old December 13th, 2014, 8:43 AM
Super Moderator

I pm'ed the build sheet. The only indication that it is a ff vehicle is the engine rpo code, which to me means its a ff vehicle. If you want more confirmation then locate the ff sensor. Follow the fuel line from the tank forward. Near the front driveshaft, at a cross-member the line should connect into a square bracket holding a cylinder shaped sensor with 2 fuel lines coming out.

You could also check for fuel composition sensor data if you have a good scan tool.

I wouldn't run ff anyway. You will lose mileage and pay more for it; if they even have e85 station near you.
Old December 13th, 2014, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Great, thanks T2. Just looked at the build-sheet, it lists everything I need... and more!

Yeah, thanks for the good & bad reminder about flex-fuel. I just got to wondering whether I have it or not, and could only find conflicting info. I will check underneath to see if I have the sensor you described - that should be proof.

So now it's back to troubleshooting the other gremlins I inherited with this thing.

And thanks again!
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I never run E85 in my vehicles. There's no cost savings - the lower cost of the gas is negated by the significant hit in your gas mileage.

Alcohol is hygroscopic - it readily absorbs moisture from the air. Not something I want in my fuel tank. As it is, I'm not happy that most gas stations have 10% ethanol blends.
Old December 13th, 2014, 5:10 PM
Super Moderator

does the sticker on the fuel door look factory? Just wondering if the previous owner put it there as a reminder to others who drove it. Was it a fleet vehicle?
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Personally, I never run E85 in my vehicles. There's no cost savings - the lower cost of the gas is negated by the significant hit in your gas mileage.

Alcohol is hygroscopic - it readily absorbs moisture from the air. Not something I want in my fuel tank. As it is, I'm not happy that most gas stations have 10% ethanol blends.

Spent a couple of weeks at Lake Eufaula OK, many gas stations carried 100% gasoline for marine , my truck never ran better! towing our small pop up I had great acceleration and power. I think I read that there are only about 2 states that are not required to use the 10% I think Wyoming was one of them, but I won't swear to that...

Quick Reply: To Flex-Fuel or not to Flex-Fuel?