Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dash panel hard to see

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2007, 1:18 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dash panel hard to see

I can't say that I've ever had a hard time seeing the gauges in daylight. (And why are you guys trying to run out of gas!)
Old March 14th, 2007, 1:54 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: biglg

My navigation unit has never said anything about "low" fuel. I have had my cluster light come on, never the nav unit. Do they not come on in sequence? At what point does the cluster, and nav unit low fuel warnings come on?

One thing I dont like is when you are running low fuel the DIC doesnt continue to count down the mileage you have left/available on the amount of gas. Once it gets toa certain point it just says low! Well I know it is low, but how many more miles can I drive?
You can turn the low fuel notification on and off on the Nav's menu.

And... if the low fuel alert tells you that you have low fuel..... it means that you should stop at the next gas station you see.
Old March 14th, 2007, 1:57 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: cocodrie55

Heads up display would be a great thing to have on a Tahoe. No need to look at the gages anymore.
A HUD??? You sure about that??? In the Florida sun, you'll have a better chance of seeing the gagues before the HUD...

This may sound a bit silly, but I have to ask: did your dealer remove the protective film from the lucite that the dash cluster is behind??? I'm in NY, and we do get our share of sunlight... never have I not been able to see the gagues... unless of course I'm getting blinded by the glare off the woodgrain dash trim on the passenger's side.
Old March 14th, 2007, 4:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the low fuel turned on the navigation unit, and have never heard nor seen anything on the navigation unit about low fuel.
Old March 14th, 2007, 5:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

biglog,
You have to run the thing low on gas (aka: I'm about ready to become a pedestrian) before the nav unit goes haywire.

I get a little glare on my guages from time to time but never any problem seeing what's going on whith them.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's not so much a glare issue as much as shadow issue. It's hard to see into a dark area if you are in the sunlight.

The guage pods are small and set back into the panel. The panel is slanted to be very deep at the top. There is a large overhang on top. It's shaded back there. The brighter the interior the worse the affect.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is correct, it is a shade problem in bright light. Whenever all or part of the panel is in the shade you can not see that part of the panel.
Old March 15th, 2007, 1:19 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I see I believe to be a glare or reflection (if you will) off of the black instrument surround bezel. The color black refracts very little light so it takes a bright sunny day for this annoyance to occur, for me at least.
If it were a shadow my pupil would be able to adjust for this after a few seconds but what I am seeing my eye cannot adjust for, thankfully it has not been bad enough to completely obscure the effected gauge(s).
Old July 4th, 2007, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the GMC Denali version and the dash is even HARDER to see. It uses ultra low contrast gray and chrome instrument faces with a dark red gauge indicator color. It is so deeply set under the dash cowel that little natural light reaches it. Chrome faced instruments faces? Dark red colored indicators? Dull gray gauge faces? What exactly is GM trying to pass off on the consumer? Did they use high school students to design the interiors? The illumination is pitiful and really does nothing during the day. I truly believe that in spite of GM's 100 years of making vehicles, they have really learned precious little as evidenced by the way they design. How a company that advertises boldly "WE EXAMINED EVERYTHING. WE OVERLOOKED NOTHING" and produces such poorly designed vehicles expects to gain any national or global respect is seriously beyond believability. I havenumerous problems with my new $50K list Denali and I am really disappointed and disgusted with the treatment I am receiving at the dealer as well as withthe vehicle. If GM doesn't get their act together soon and get my vehicle fixed, this will be the LAST time I ever purchase their product.
Old July 5th, 2007, 7:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could't agree more!
We are currently on an extended trip, just drove 1500 miles in the last three days and most of the time the dash is barely visible and I have to turn on the fog lites to be able to see it, bright sun out and the "shade" problem deep in the dash cluster area. Automatic A/C after being re-programmed works a little bit better but still not right, wipers clunk when going into the "down" postion, gets worse with more rain. Of course the dealers don't have a clue what to do and GM is aware of the dash problem but offers no help. Glad you posted about your Denali as I was ready to buy a Denali cluster and replace the black one! This cluster problem is going to cost GM in the long run, it is a safety factor also as you can't see the speedometer. The other issue I have is the no shading on the upper windshield as the heat factor or your lap and chest is intensified without this, what were they thinking? And the automatic door locking is driving me nuts, if anybody ever finds a way to disable that they will be a hero!

Quick Reply: Dash panel hard to see