Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dealer Parts Markup In Service

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2019, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Parts Markup In Service

Is it normal practice for dealers to markup parts when being sold thru their service dept?
The parts dept quoted me a price for 4 O2 sensors which was the normal list price.
After finding out how much they were I decided to have the dealers service dept do the work.
The same parts from the same parts dept were now marked up 35% from the price the parts dept gave me.
Dealer VP claims this is normal practice and it pays for the parts warranty.

Last edited by emb505; February 6th, 2019 at 7:28 PM.
Old February 6th, 2019, 7:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Does not sound at all fair to me but not surprised. Seems to me should charge a price for the part and a price for labor. Don't see why warranty should have to be reflected in the price - so if you don't want warranty it costs less?? Seems like a good way to PO your customer and reinforce the "stealer" label that dealers so often get. Full disclaimer, I'm a veterinarian, not a dealer.
Old February 7th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the part is warrantied by the maker of the part...not the dealer. I am not sure who pays for the labour to install the warranty part. I will check at my dealer.