Does a cold air intake have more benifits than problems? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
Sponsored by: Nitto Tire
Sponsored by: Nitto Tire

Does a cold air intake have more benifits than problems?

Newly Registered

October 10th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #1  
Does a cold air intake have more benifits than problems?

1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 new factory stock motor. Would a K&N cold air intake and max flow mas air sensor be a good modification for a stock crate GM motor? Or would it introduce reliability and check engine light problems?

CF Monarch

October 10th, 2017, 8:08 PM   #2  
stay stock. always use factory brand air filters. almost all high flow filters flow more by filtering less...they don't meet oem filtering standards...good way to get dust out conditions. I have quite a few vehicles with cai/filters as the only mod and imo...they add zero hp. they are jewelry. If i was building a race car...would be the only time i use it.

Last edited by tech2; October 10th, 2017 at 8:10 PM.

Administrator

KC, MO area

October 10th, 2017, 9:43 PM   #3  
rightstuffer: Welcome to the forum.

+1 on what tech2 said. The dyno sheets I've seen show a very modest (5-7) hp increase occurring at 5,000 rpm and up.Not something you are going to notice unless you going for a high speed run. What you can notice w/ the butt dyno is torque and to increase that usually means cam change, etc.

CF Addict

October 11th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #4  
if <a company> could get more <reliable> HP by simply changing a filter/box... they would have.

CF Monarch

October 11th, 2017, 8:42 PM   #5  
cai can even make it worse. If you take out the resonator box part of the intake snorkel; it creates a buffeting effect that reduces airflow...intake air hits the throttle plate crates a pressure wave the pushes back against incoming air. google resonator box purpose

Administrator

KC, MO area

October 12th, 2017, 7:40 PM   #6  
I thought another purpose of the resonator box was to reduce the WOT induction noise.

CF Monarch

October 12th, 2017, 8:33 PM   #7  
multiple functions...goggle it....better explanation then i can give.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: