Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Door handle question

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle question

Hey folks; minor issue here but just wanted to see what you think.

My 09 burb (under GM warranty, bought used) has a slight driver side door handle issue. The handle itself is tight, but towards the rear (near the keyhole) it's not completely fliush/tight against the door panel. It doesn't affect the door opening, but I'm bothered by it so I stopped by the dealer (not the one I bought it from).

They don't think it's an installation/warranty issue, rather think something happened, perhaps someone tried to pry the handle forward by inserting say a screwdriver between the handle and door panel, slightly bending the door panel in, which causes it to not be perfectly flush. So, they say replacing the handle won't help.

They did bring it in and look at it, loosened up the handle, and I looked at it while in the garage. They might be right, but if that did happen, there's no evidence of it. The door panel looks fine to me. If anything, I thought the front of the handle was overtightened which caused some minor warping.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this -- seems door handle issues are fairly common. I'm attaching a picture but you can't tell much.
Attached Thumbnails Door handle question-doorhandle.jpg  
Old December 21st, 2010, 7:39 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

was it bought new? if not, you bought it 'as is'... sorry...

if it was bought new i think they would fix it for you...

maybe you can fix it yourself? take it apart and push it back into shape?
Old December 21st, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't buy it new, it was used -- so you're right, I'm stuck with it. Honestly I'm not that worried about it, even if I have to get it fixed. Just seems odd to me because I can't see any sign of damage. If I stuck a screwdriver in there to pry it open, seems like there'd be a mark, or it would break the handle, or bend the _front side_ in. I dunno, just seems strange.