Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Door stuck shut - 1997 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2015, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door stuck shut - 1997 Suburban

My door is shut and I cannot open it. I was fixing my door issues with the lock/unlock not working, and replaced the clips on the inside. Okay, door opens/closes, great. Put the door panel back on, etc. Closed the door and heard one of the clips go ting ting . Right to the floor. No problem, I guess I'll just take it off, wrong. I guess all three clips I put on magically popped off, the outside door lock, inside door lock, and inside handle. So the door is locked inside and the panel is on, so I cannot access it and open it like I have somehow before with the panel off.

What do I do? Pretty sure I can't get the panel off inside the truck. Looking near impossible....maybe with driver's seat removal?
Old February 3rd, 2015, 4:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Anybody?

EDIT: I didn't realize I had an account here on this name. Woops!
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:24 PM
CF Junior Member

You must be bipolar LOL As for the door, If you can get the window down it will help to get your head in there and try to pull the top of the door panel back. If you can then you may be able to get a coat hanger (you know like the old metal style) down in there to pop the latch. You will need to put the window back up before doing so as you will not be able to get to the latch. Not sure if any of that made sense LOL. It can be a pain but you don't have much choice.
Old February 5th, 2015, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

I think I understand what you are saying, and that was my thought as well. I'll have to try that this weekend, that looks like the only way I'll be able to get it is to somehow get it unlocked from inside (and hope somehow the outside door handle isn't broken!). Thanks.
Old February 8th, 2015, 3:27 PM
CF Junior Member

What I ended up doing was rolling the window down, getting a coat hanger, and popping the lock to the unlocked position. Didn't take long at all once I got a hanger, lol. Put the clips back on solidly...one of them had a clip already on, so it was like I was trying to put one back on it, which may have been the problem in the first place! I shut and slammed the door a few good times, tried everything...fingers crossed it stays together this time.
Old February 8th, 2015, 7:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Finding a real coat hanger can be difficult these days.