Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dual or Single Piston Rears

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual or Single Piston Rears

Hi all! New to the forum here so I hope I can get some help with this...

Need to replace the brake pads on my 2002 Suburban 1500 4WD (flex fuel). I have not previously changed them on this vehicle and when I went to buy the pads they asked me if I had Single or Dual piston and I have no idea.

I've always done my own brakes even when I owned an Expedition (I know, I know..) and never been asked this.

My question is...

Without having to remove the wheel and lift the caliper, how can I tell just by looking at it?

Thanks in advance...
Old March 26th, 2013, 7:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look at the back of caliper you should be able to see the castings of the two pistons. Also if you look at the pad side, you should be able to see the black seals around pistons. You may have to remove one of the front wheel to get a better look.

When you do the brakes, make sure that you lubricate the slides with a high quality lubricant. Also, please check your front hub / wheel bearings, ball joints and other front end parts. If you need to do the hubs, this is a good time to do it.

Since this is your first time doing your brakes, you may also want to flush the brake fluid.

Good luck with you brake job.