Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DVD Player Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Player Help!!!!!

I purchased the DVD/CD combo radio Part# 15923583 to replace my standard CD radio in my 08 Tahoe LS. I installed the radio and brought it to my dealer for programming. Well $105 later they said they couldn't do it and it can't be done. From what I have read here it is possible. Can someone point me to a Dealer in the Chicago area that knows how to do this or anyone haveother suggestions. I purchased this to hook up to my headrest monitors and I really need this to work. Thanks.
Old November 28th, 2007, 1:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DVD Player Help!!!!!

If they did not complete the job, I would get your $105 back. I am sure somebody will chime in here and point you in the right direction.
Old November 28th, 2007, 1:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I just went back there and the Tech showed me what he did. I brought the instructions for programming from this site to show him. He downloaded the information from my vehicle and then hooked the Tech 2 up to the Techline computer. When it asks what radio to select you can't choose any one but the one that is in my Tahoe. Tried the Dual-Play and the Navigation. It knows my vin and knows my Tahoe didn't come with it. If he tried to select it it said configuration not supported. So now what? Did I buy a useless radio? And as far as getting my money back, yeah right. They said they spent an hour on it so they charged me for it. Job completed or not!
Old November 28th, 2007, 3:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hawk7131

Well I just went back there and the Tech showed me what he did. I brought the instructions for programming from this site to show him. He downloaded the information from my vehicle and then hooked the Tech 2 up to the Techline computer. When it asks what radio to select you can't choose any one but the one that is in my Tahoe. Tried the Dual-Play and the Navigation. It knows my vin and knows my Tahoe didn't come with it. If he tried to select it it said configuration not supported. So now what? Did I buy a useless radio? And as far as getting my money back, yeah right. They said they spent an hour on it so they charged me for it. Job completed or not!
I know exactly what you are going through as I experienced the same thing when I originally was trying to get my NAV radio to enable the video outputs for the Headrest monitors I added. This is the problem: whether you are using the NAV DVD radio or the CD/DVD radio they need specific code downloaded to enable the video outputs on the radio. Problem is, as you described earlier, GM's SPS system tracks by VIN and if your vehicle did not come with a rear seat entertainment system (specifically code U42 RSE option) SPS will not present the option for the needed RSE code during the tech2 session.

The only way around this that I know of is to have the tech contact GM support and tell them that " the customer added a U42 roof mount DVD and needs to enable it to his vehicle VIN" GM support can then tie the needed code to your VIN sothe RSE optionpresents itself during the Tech 2 session. The trick is convincing the technician to nicely ask the support rep to do this as they generally are reluctant to "step outside the box". Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old November 28th, 2007, 3:39 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the tech go into the "program a new module" section when he enters Tis2Web.
The system should not forbid you from installing a new stereo with a different part # then it came from the factory with but if it does then have the tech obtian a VCI code from GM that will enable the radio selection.
Old November 28th, 2007, 3:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks. I'm going back tomorrow and will give it a shot. I'll keep you posted.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Well, I'm back. No luck. WASTED another $105. "It can't be done." I'm told. He tried everything except calling GM. He wasn't willing to do that. So I have about $550 invested in this project so far for nothing!!! Anyone want to buy a Dual Play DVD/CD player. People have installed the NAV's in LS's what did they do to get the programming? Is something different in the '08's? I'm just about ready to give up!
Old November 29th, 2007, 3:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hawk7131

Well, I'm back. No luck. WASTED another $105. "It can't be done." I'm told. He tried everything except calling GM. He wasn't willing to do that. So I have about $550 invested in this project so far for nothing!!! Anyone want to buy a Dual Play DVD/CD player. People have installed the NAV's in LS's what did they do to get the programming? Is something different in the '08's? I'm just about ready to give up!
Sorry to hear it. As I stated im my previous post I ran into the same thing. The only thing I can suggest at this point is to try another dealer, but before they start doing anything make sure they are willing to call GM support and request the VCI code to tie the needed software to your VIN. If they are unwilling to call GM then you are wasting your time as you already know there is no option psted to your VIN for the radio you are trying to install. Make it clear that you need the code for the U42 Rear Seat Entertainment system - DO NOT say you are trying to feed headrest monitors or they will simply not help you. There is no other way to do this and GM can be a pain when it comes to helping with changes to OEM configurations.

It seems that if the dealer you went to that took your second $105 was unwilling to call GM (assuming you told them they may have to initially) I'd complain to the Service Mgras all that happened was you funded the technician's education with no positive result.

One other thought - are you sure you hooked up the video to your headrest monitors correctly? The C3 connector pin 7 is video (+), pin 15 is video (-). Before I got my NAV programmed for U42 I noticed that if you disconnect the battery, then reconnected the battery for approximately 10 minutes (the time it apparently takes the NAV radio to reboot) the video out would work. After the NAV finished its reboot it without the U42 code it shut off the video outputs (figuring that out drove me crazy as I thought I had a wiring problem). Try disconnecting your battery for the hell of it and see if your video works immediately following reconnect for a short period of time - if so at least your wiring is correct.
Old November 29th, 2007, 3:45 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't even have the video hooked up to the HU yet. The DVD radio does not work at all now. There is no sound and it just keeps scanning XM channels. I tried complaining but they don't care. It does not belong in there is all I keep hearing. It just seems for some of them if its not in a book or on a computer they don't know how to do it. Also I tried the battery disconnect with no luck.
Old November 29th, 2007, 4:03 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did some more research and there is no VCI code needed or available to do this.
There is also no additional module that is used for the rear DVD screen and GM SPS will no disallow the programming based on the VIN.

This Tech is just flat out not up to the task or is using an old software version in Tech 2.

Quick Reply: DVD Player Help!!!!!