Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DVD Player Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2007, 4:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DVD Player Help!!!!!

ORIGINAL: hawk7131

I don't even have the video hooked up to the HU yet. The DVD radio does not work at all now. There is no sound and it just keeps scanning XM channels. I tried complaining but they don't care. It does not belong in there is all I keep hearing. It just seems for some of them if its not in a book or on a computer they don't know how to do it. Also I tried the battery disconnect with no luck.
You need to work with a dealer interested in supporting you, not just taking your money. Speaking personally, here are the "electronic based":mods I did to my 07 LT1 "that are not possible" according to the dealer: 1, added DL3 power folding mirrors; 2, upgraded to DVD/NAV radio from a base CD player; 3, added GM Headrest DVD players and modified to also feed them from the video out on the NAV head unit; 4, added a GM Lockpik to allow DVD playback & destination select while in motion; 5, added a Kenwood rear (backup) view camera and tied it into the NAV through the Lockpik harness; 6, modified Escalade LED tails to work in the Tahoe. Getting the right code for the mirror & NAV mods took some experimenting, but the tech I was working with recognized and enjoyed the challenge (I also slip him a $20 after every service appt)

If your radio is not working at all, they really should not have taken your money. It does not belong in there or won't work is flat BS. If it is a radio sold with any 07 or 08 Tahoe it has to work. They just don't know how to do it.
Old November 29th, 2007, 6:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree completely. They don't know what they are doing. You are lucky to have someone willing to help. It is BS that it won't work because originally when I first hooked it up most everything worked. CD played, XM worked and AM/FM. When a dvdwas inserted it said region code error. Which I believe didn't work because my Tahoe has never been programmed for a region. I tried a region free DVD and it played fine. All of this with just a little less volume as I don't have the Bose. So it did work it just needed a little tweaking. Now whatever they programmed in there it doesen't work at all. I'm afraid to bring it anywhere else, I just don't want to lose anymore money.
Old November 29th, 2007, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Did some more research and there is no VCI code needed or available to do this.
There is also no additional module that is used for the rear DVD screen and GM SPS will no disallow the programming based on the VIN.

This Tech is just flat out not up to the task or is using an old software version in Tech 2.
ZX, I don't know about now, or if the NAV has different options than the non-NAV DVD player, buta year agowhen I did mine I recall from looking over the tech's shoulder that the first time through the option list in SPS for my VIN there was nothing available for RSE and my NAV video output would shut down after about 10 min following a power up cycle. He made a call to support, then went back to SPS and there was some other option available that he successfully downloaded (he said it was for U42) and it worked afterward. I also remember him telling the support rep that "the customer added the ceiling mount RSE" (even though I was actually piping the video out to the headrest monitors) which was not originally part of my VIN build. At this same time I also remember that we tried several different options to get the correct EQ map for the amp as I had the "too much bass" problem following the conversion to the NAV from the base CD player. Ultimately he got everything working within a half hour. Could it have been in the SW for the EQ map? Since nothing in hawk7131's radio is working nowthe tech must have just started loading code ***** nilly then got it to a FUBAR state.
Old November 30th, 2007, 1:02 AM
CF Active Member

Just my 2 cents on this... Once you get a dealer to work with you I'm hoping you paid for all this with a credit card. You have 9 months to challenge any charge on a card. The merchant has to agree to this to accept them. If the dealer mechanic isn't up to snuff it turns out I'd sure contest every red cent plus bitch about the time they wasted. You're card will back you up 100% I'm sure. If you used AMEX I know from experience they always take your side.

Guvner..
Old November 30th, 2007, 6:48 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: guvner

Just my 2 cents on this... Once you get a dealer to work with you I'm hoping you paid for all this with a credit card. You have 9 months to challenge any charge on a card. The merchant has to agree to this to accept them. If the dealer mechanic isn't up to snuff it turns out I'd sure contest every red cent plus bitch about the time they wasted. You're card will back you up 100% I'm sure. If you used AMEX I know from experience they always take your side.

Guvner..
The problem with that approach is that essentially any time a dealer assists with making mods involving OEM equipment not originally part of the vehicle build from the factory, they are breaking GM's rules. I was told this same statement by two different service managers at different dealerships back when I was originally looking to do the DL3 mod. They said they could lose their franchise - don't know if this is actual GM policy or not, but I also was told the same thing when I called GM direct last year.

So in essence, if the dealer even tries to help you out they are doing you a favor. As such, they do not train technicians to support mods and you will have to do the legwork to find a tech up to the challenge. I actually went to a couple different dealers service depts. and asked who their Tech2 "maestro" was. By that time I learned enough about the process to determine if someone was qualified to help me or not. So yes, he can probably get a chargeback through his credit card, but that dealer will not help him again & if it was his "selling" dealer that could be a problem if he needs their help in the future.

However, in the case described in this thread it seems the tech just gave up in frustration. At a minimum he should have been able to get the radio back to its original state. But I would caution anyone reading this and contemplating Tech2 work for an OEM swap that they need to be upfront with the dealer personnel that they may need to make a call to GM support and if they are not willing to do this then you would be advised to find someone else up to the challenge.
Old November 30th, 2007, 6:57 AM
CF Junior Member

My plan is to find someone who can make this work and return to the original dealer to show them it can be done. If someone else gets it to work then they should give me my money back. They just aren't knowledgeable enough to perform the task. If he thought he couldn't do it he should have told me up front.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, I went to three more dealers today and was told the same thing. I am done unless anyone knows someone personally that can do it. It is just a waste of time and money to keep trying.
Old November 30th, 2007, 7:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Could someone please tell me about a dealer that has done their DVD or NAV programming. Anywhere near Chicago. I will travel to get this done. I've hit a brick wall in the hometown.
Old December 1st, 2007, 2:23 AM
CF Active Member

I still think I'm going to be happier with a Kenwood with the Garmin on the inside. If it is actually GM policy they should want to help their customers. From what I'm seeing though there is no help for this guy despite all the recipes around here. If I want to put another stereo in my GM product it sure seems a big lack of customer service for them to throw up a roadblock. At $105 per hour that's not such a great favor if it turns out to be unknowledgable help. As I stated though it seems all the dealers are saying the same thing...

Good luck...
Old December 1st, 2007, 9:15 AM
CF Junior Member

You may be right Guvner but I just don't have the money to start all over. I wouldn't even have bought the stock DVD if Iknew it wasn't going to work. I never imagined that Iwas going to have this much trouble getting it programmed. I also am suprised at the lack of responses.

Quick Reply: DVD Player Help!!!!!