Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Engine Failure - join Class Action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2014, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Failure - join Class Action lawsuit

Looking for fellow Tahoe owners for Class Action Lawsuit

2007 Tahoe - 96,000miles -Traction control light came on, engine light came on, low power mode, strange noise came from engine, later found it was lifters. replaced lifters and approx 12,350 miles later I brought it back with the same problem but this time the lifters and the cam were bad.
was told there was nothing that could be done.
escalated to GM customer service who promised to help, after 3 months of the car being off the road and a run around from GM and the dealer. GM said they were sorry, there is nothing that can be done and they suggested getting a new engine. I replaced the engine at a different dealer at my cost ($7500) and now 7 months later we are back at the dealer with the same symptoms again!!!!! Would you like to join a class action law suit? i am trying to find people with similar situations. email me at shawn.noonan@gmail.com
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by noonans
Looking for fellow Tahoe owners for Class Action Lawsuit

2007 Tahoe - 96,000miles -Traction control light came on, engine light came on, low power mode, strange noise came from engine, later found it was lifters. replaced lifters and approx 12,350 miles later I brought it back with the same problem but this time the lifters and the cam were bad.
was told there was nothing that could be done.
escalated to GM customer service who promised to help, after 3 months of the car being off the road and a run around from GM and the dealer. GM said they were sorry, there is nothing that can be done and they suggested getting a new engine. I replaced the engine at a different dealer at my cost ($7500) and now 7 months later we are back at the dealer with the same symptoms again!!!!! Would you like to join a class action law suit? i am trying to find people with similar situations. email me at shawn.noonan@gmail.com
Hello there.
No, You are not alone in this "deal"..
Seems to be a lots of owners "out" there with same problems as ours..
I have my issue at this link;
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...-57022/page13/

Yeah, if I not get any help from GM, I totally "walk" with You!

Glenn
Old December 25th, 2014, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

I feel your Tah woes I have piston slap they tell me it is normal. well so is growing a third arm if you work in a nuclear plant I guess
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

In on it as well! I feel like I bought a toy from china. The price tag for these vehicle with all the KNOWN issues. yes I said KNOWN in large caps simply because we have someone from GM replying to issues. The issue: fault engines faulty door handles FAULT is the key word.
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default should include other truck types

you should include avalanche, suburban, and silverado owners as well I know there are other trucks than these 3 that have the same problems. our traction control went out the side mirrors stopped tilting down when backing up and folding in when you push the button. the backup sensor stopped working the engine started having a hesitation shortly after purchse nobody can tell us why. a couple of days ago the engine started having a bigger problem it felt like when you speed up or slow down the whole truck kind of jerked like it was trying to change gears and was having problems doing it. the tailgate latch which opens the tailgate has broken and been replaced once then after opening it a grand total of 6 times it broke again. the dash has a small for now crack at the corner of the airbag on the passenger side. who knows what the mechanic will tell us is wrong with the truck but the mirrors, backup sensor and the stabili-track have to be fixed by Chevrolet because they won't give other mechanics the code to get into the computer so they can do a diagnostic and fix it. look up avalanche problem or Chevrolet problems and post to multiple forums and facebook pages to find others with the same problems
Old November 29th, 2015, 9:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get what youre doing, but the only thing any class action lawsuit does is make the attorneys wealthy. Payouts are next to nothing.

You are better off finding an attorney that will take this on contingency fee.

On an individual basis, it will cost GM 5-10 in retainer and atty fees upfront to defend an individual lawsuit. done correctly they will fix your car and have you sign a non disclosure agreement.

I sued my mtg company, had the choice to join a class action. The class action won the atty made 1.4 million and the individuals got 2k a piece.

I sued individually won my house free and clear and they paid my atty fees.

Last edited by Scotiapilot; November 29th, 2015 at 9:27 AM.
Old October 9th, 2016, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Same problems with my 2007 suburban.. wish they would recall them
Old April 16th, 2019, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

I just want to put in my 2 cents since I've had this problem as well. I have a 2003 Avalanche 1500 that my dad gave me. Its currently at about 307k miles, I'm from New Jersey, but I live in California. About 8 months ago I went into reduced engine power and my truck popped the P1516 code. I was able to shut her off and then restart her and she'd be fine. Did this until I could come up with a way to fix it. After some research and some help from my dad I ended up replacing the pigtail that connects to the TPS on the Throttle Body. Problem went away for about 6 months and then came back with a vengeance, but now it gave me the P0120, P1516, and P2135 codes. I got it every day and wasn't even able to stop it after shutting my truck off and restarting it multiple times. I had to take my code scanner out and clear the codes to be able to drive her until I got to my destination. Finally after some more digging and again talking to my dad multiple times a week, we found the TSB that GM made for this very problem. Its TSB 03-06-04-032, however we could only find out what it said by going to a GM dealership and having them look it up and then give us a copy of it. It's important to know that if your truck does have the P2135 code they will replace your TPS and reset the computer IF AND ONLY IF your truck has less than 100k miles OR is under 10 years old AND matches the VIN numbers for the vehicles that GM determined have that particular problem. Anyway the TSB suggests that the G103 and G104 grounds could be the cause. If you guys don't know those 2 ground straps go from the engine block itself to the firewall, they attach to the rear of the engine block just below each Cylinder head ( the G103 on the passenger side of the engine block and the G104 on the Drivers side). I found that my truck did not have these grounds. My engine was replaced at around 296k miles and I guess the Mech didnt/ couldnt get them on, oh well. However he did put a ground going from the Alternaor to the firewall but this strap was fraying quite a bit. After finding out about this I went to Amazon and purchased a copper wire braid strap and some terminal connectors. I made 2 ground straps with them and attached them to the engine. This being said I could NOT fit my hands behind to engine to put the grounds in the correct spots. So I put the drivers side ground in the same spot that the old fraying strap was in and attached it to the firewall. The passenger side ground I attached to the cylinder head. No problems since and hopefully I wont get it again. I'll keep you guys informed if it I do pop any of those codes again. In the mean time here are pictures of where I put those grounds.

Old April 17th, 2019, 8:41 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

not sure how well the one on the passengers side will work, the reason being the valve cover gasket might prevent good connection and the cover bolts look like they have a rubber grommet which should also hinder a good connection
Old April 17th, 2019, 2:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

The firewall connection looks lined with plastic too. You want maximum metal to metal contact. (Take a look at the battery ground to see how a good connection is made)

Quick Reply: Engine Failure - join Class Action lawsuit