Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise

I got a Tahoe about a month and half ago, and it seems like I'm already have engine problems. When I lightly step on the gas, a whistling noise comes out of the hood, and it also seems there is noise of metal on metal. I took down to the dealership twice, and the first time they said they couldnt figure out the problem. The second time the guy said it is a normal noise, but I dont think it is. They also told me thye havent heard about this complaint. IF anyone else has experienced please let me know, and what can be causing this noise.
Old May 4th, 2007, 4:14 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine Noise

Does it make this noise when you step on the gas even if you are in (P)ark? or only when you are moving?
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 07 Suburban and I believe we MAY have the same problem. After about 5 minutes of driving....my truck makes a squealing/squeaking sound when accelerating. It is extremely audible at low speeds(driving through neighborhoods). If it is at idle in park or nuetral, when you blip the accelerator, it squeals then goes away back at normal idle. It sounds to me as if it is some pulley or some bearing problem.

I need to take my truck in for that and for the aspirator on the roof above my head....its making a buzzing sound that I read GM has a bulletin out for. Pretty disappointing for a 47k vehicle with 1800 miles. Guess I see why they are hurting.
Old May 5th, 2007, 1:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: breagle

for the aspirator on the roof above my head...
Say What? Not sure what you mean.
Old May 5th, 2007, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

i have the same problem since december around 2000 k miles now i have 9600k so far took it to dealer 3 times said the same stuff like cant hearit, normal operating sound,etc.etc.etc. freaking suck paid45k for this. i have owned 97 yukon, 03 escalade esv and never heard a sound like this but engine normal noise. sometime its reallly annoying the little whiming sound. it does it when i m parked and hit the gas little and it whistles and driving at slow speed.. can it be air intake or belts ? i wish they would fix this problem other than that everything if good
Old May 5th, 2007, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: engine2

Yea...that "speaker looking thing" above the drivers head on the headliner is a part of the climate control system. Here is the GM bulletin regarding it:

Document ID# 1639237

Subject: Buzz Noise From Headliner Above Driver - keywords ac air aspirator cover fan grille HVAC interior microphone sensor speaker temperature vent vibration #PIT3511 - (03/29/2005)

Models: 2000-05 Cadillac Escalade

2002-05 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-05 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2000-05 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Dealer or customer may comment that they have a buzz or vibration noise emanating from the headliner in an area that looks like microphone or a speaker.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The plastic escutcheon grill, which is round and about the size of a half dollar and located just above the driver to the left, is the interior ambient temperature sensor. The sensor is used in conjunction with the automatic HVAC (C68). On occasions, this sensor has been known to make a buzz or rattle sound. The sensor uses a small fan to pull air over the sensor. This buzz noise may be intermittent.

Although it may not be possible to alleviate all of the buzz or noise from this sensor, Engineering has found that if the sensor is installed incorrectly that it may bind and cause the fan to make a buzz noise. Remove the sensor and while doing so check for any binding. Reinstall the sensor and re-test. If the noise is still present, the sensor itself may be noisy and require replacement.
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Interesting. I figured that thing was the microphone for the OnStar handfree Calling.
Old May 6th, 2007, 2:58 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I hear the noise also when Im in Park. Its just so frustrating b/c its a new car, and its already acting up. Im just hoping they will figure out a solution for this really soon.
Old May 7th, 2007, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Hey zx this sounds like the torque converter issue from a while ago. I have the same noise. It does it in park and while driving at low rpms. What do you think?
Old May 7th, 2007, 7:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: engine2

Yea...that "speaker looking thing" above the drivers head on the headliner is a part of the climate control system. Here is the GM bulletin regarding it:

Document ID# 1639237

Subject: Buzz Noise From Headliner Above Driver - keywords ac air aspirator cover fan grille HVAC interior microphone sensor speaker temperature vent vibration #PIT3511 - (03/29/2005)

Models: 2000-05 Cadillac Escalade

2002-05 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-05 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2000-05 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Dealer or customer may comment that they have a buzz or vibration noise emanating from the headliner in an area that looks like microphone or a speaker.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The plastic escutcheon grill, which is round and about the size of a half dollar and located just above the driver to the left, is the interior ambient temperature sensor. The sensor is used in conjunction with the automatic HVAC (C68). On occasions, this sensor has been known to make a buzz or rattle sound. The sensor uses a small fan to pull air over the sensor. This buzz noise may be intermittent.

Although it may not be possible to alleviate all of the buzz or noise from this sensor, Engineering has found that if the sensor is installed incorrectly that it may bind and cause the fan to make a buzz noise. Remove the sensor and while doing so check for any binding. Reinstall the sensor and re-test. If the noise is still present, the sensor itself may be noisy and require replacement.
This bulletin is not regarding 2007 Tahoe.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise