Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Engine remove and replace

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2016, 3:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine remove and replace

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban 4wd with a 5.3 liter engine. It has just over 270k miles on it and I am in the process of an R&R. Still ran but #4 cylinder hydraulic lifter gave out. Anyway, I have every nut, stud, and bolt removed that I know of and used the AlldataDIY information on removing the engine. My problem is after unbolting everything necessary I have not been able to get the engine to come off the dowel pins that mate the engine and transmission together. If anyone has run into this problem or has an idea as to why the engine will not budge off the mated surface of the transmission, please enlighten me. It wasn't mentioned in the Alldata info that I would have to remove the transmission first. The transmission is supported by a transmission jack. And, I am doing the work off the ground without a car hoist. A bit tough crawling under the Burb checking for things I may have missed. So far, I am stumped as I have removed engines from cars and trucks on more than one occasion. Hate using heat on aluminum casting. So, I haven't taken that route and have no real room to get a pry bar wedged between the few openings there are.
Old March 20th, 2016, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if everything is unbolted and not bound up then just wiggle and pry, if you can get a shot of rust penetrant on the dowels it may help also. Torque converter bolts are out?
Old March 21st, 2016, 5:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bolts for Torque Convertor

Yes, I double checked to make sure there are not more than three. The torque convertor spins free of the engine flywheel. I also took the bolts out of the transmission mount so the transmission could slide back a bit. I sprayed down the separation line with and dowel pins with Kroil Oil and let set over night. Hope it does the trick.. I have a new engine ready to be delivered.
Old March 21st, 2016, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi
Yes, I double checked to make sure there are not more than three. The torque convertor spins free of the engine flywheel. I also took the bolts out of the transmission mount so the transmission could slide back a bit. I sprayed down the separation line with and dowel pins with Kroil Oil and let set over night. Hope it does the trick.. I have a new engine ready to be delivered.
Mine did the same thing when I pulled my tranny a while back, I kept working at it and one of the dowels was corroded and that's what was causing it to bind up. Check to make double sure you have all the bolts/nuts out(the one at the top/back of the intake s a MF),make sure your jack and your lift aren't making eng/trans bind. It might just take some wrangling?

Good luck.

BTW, what are you doing with you old 5.3? I'm looking for one to rebuild.

Last edited by magician; March 21st, 2016 at 8:43 PM.