Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Erratic Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 4:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum..
This is a pretty old post, but you never know someone might come back with an answer....my first guess would be a poor ground connection or a bad gauge...
Old March 25th, 2012, 6:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Jeff, thank's for the welcome. I sure hope someone chime's in, it sure is strange they all have the same type of characheristics. I bought my 99 Tahoe 4dr 2wd from the original owner, she said the Dealer replaced fuel pump under warranty earlier, and shortly thereafter the erratic problem began, and still exists today. Seems like I read somewhere to use Dielectric grease on the connections @ the tank, What is your thought and anyone else on the forum ?
david

Last edited by justimagination; March 25th, 2012 at 6:59 PM. Reason: correction
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by justimagination
Jeff, thank's for the welcome. I sure hope someone chime's in, it sure is strange they all have the same type of characheristics. I bought my 99 Tahoe 4dr 2wd from the original owner, she said the Dealer replaced fuel pump under warranty earlier, and shortly thereafter the erratic problem began, and still exists today. Seems like I read somewhere to use Dielectric grease on the connections @ the tank, What is your thought and anyone else on the forum ?
david
My last '99 suburban did the same thing after I replaced the original fuel pump through the dealer. I bought another '99 suburban last fall and it does the same thing. Just an FYI.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with both of my tahoe a 2002 n 2007 both have replace 3 times with the same exact fuel pump code and number still have the same problem w fuel meter
Old April 12th, 2012, 5:09 AM
CF Junior Member

I have the same problem in my '98 4x4 Suburban. I think someone posted on another forum that they replaced the instrument cluster and this solved the problem. It's easy to do and they are plentiful at pick-n-pull lots. Problem is you will probably find one with the same problem at the scrap yard.
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:17 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Vincent Lay,

It may be an instrument panel issue. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician.

Louis
GM Customer Service
The following users liked this post:
Liz York (January 13th, 2021)
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:35 PM
CF Veteran

theres many variables...if the whole sending unit and pump are replaced then there should be no reason as long as it was done right and there were no gauge problems to begin with
Old July 6th, 2020, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gamato
I have a 1999 2-door 4wd Tahoe. I just had the fuel pump replaced and when I got the truck back, the fuel gauge is now erratic. It moves back and forth like the blinker was on or something, but not back and forth too far , just slightly. It doesnt jump all over the place and its not too noticable during the day. When I am driving at night and the gauges are lit up, it almost looks like its vibrating back and forth extremely fast like a humming bird almost. Now the mechanic even replaced the 1st new fuel pump assembly w/sending unit and the same thing is happening. It even does this with the truck off and the key turned to the on position. It didnt do this before I had the pump replaced and now no one can figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
if your fuel guage starts bouncing around in a Chevy, its normally the battery/alternator starting to have problems.