Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Erratic tach, oil and fuel guages

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2012, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic tach, oil and fuel guages

I have an 05 burban and it seems my gauges are going erratic one at a time. First it was my oil pressure it just goes where it wants, then it was my tach it sorta pulsates on the way up and back down or it won't come down and it gets stuck wherever it went up too. Now my fuel gauge is stuck at the bottom and that happened after I fueled up 2 weeks ago. I looked in Mitchell on demand but all it said was to hook up the scanner to it. I don't know what this will do because I don't have an engine light on or anything else. Any ideas of what is causing all my gauges to act up? Is it a ground or is my gauge cluster about to kick the bucket? Thx for the responses in advance.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

There was a recall on this for most GM vehicles. Each gauge has a stepper motor and these have failed. Try the dealer and see if yours is on the recall list. If not they want about $600 to replace the cluster. If you can solder then you can replace them by yourself for about $25.00. I bought 6 of them, one for each gauge and replaced them myself.
Old October 26th, 2012, 2:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> iego,

I would be happy to look into this further for you. In order to proceed, please PM the last 8-digits of your VIN.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not answering sooner to your responses. After looking at other sites and reading about my same issue and what the cause of them going erratic was; I ordered new stepper motors and swapped them out myself and that fixed my problem. All the gauges work properly again and I wont have to guesstimate how much fuel I have left. Thanks for all the help and my apologies for not answering sooner.

Last edited by iego; November 17th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.