Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ethanol at Pearson Fuel Depot

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2007, 8:21 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Pearson Fuel Station

The only way E85 will be cheaper than gas (unless oil prices go thru the roof [:'(]) is with gov't subsidies which it already has plus a tariff on import ethanol. Now third world countries are complaining that the price of corn is too high because we are starting to burn it up in our vehicles. []

Another good example of why gov't should just stay out of our hair and worry about defending the country.
Old April 12th, 2007, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally a little cheaper. It was $3.11 over the Easter weekend. But that was the cash price. I paid by credit card so it was $3.18. Regular gas was also $3.11 (cash)
Old April 12th, 2007, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

Colorado's new governor is really making a push for these Ethanol stations. He just helped open another one here in Northern Colorado. Now I have two stations within a 15 mile radius of my house. Not too bad. I think it's a great idea, but more importantly it gives back to OUR economy (the USA) and not some middle east country who obviously doesn't need anymore money. Have you seen Dubai in the United Arab Emirates lately? Unbelievable what all the oil dollars are building for them!!!
Old April 13th, 2007, 1:54 AM
Administrator

If the greens would let us drill for oil, build nuke plants, and put up windmills, we could keep the money here.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmitchell

Colorado's new governor is really making a push for these Ethanol stations. He just helped open another one here in Northern Colorado. Now I have two stations within a 15 mile radius of my house. Not too bad. I think it's a great idea, but more importantly it gives back to OUR economy (the USA) and not some middle east country who obviously doesn't need anymore money. Have you seen Dubai in the United Arab Emirates lately? Unbelievable what all the oil dollars are building for them!!!
There are many "for" and "against's" for the use of ethanol. I understand you say it gives back to the economy. However, what happens when the corn price gets so high that all farmers who use corn for feed can no longer afford it? I am in Missouri, we are probably one of the biggest Ethanol states. It is having a drastic effect on the beef farmers. Most farmers are already stating they cant afford the price increase in corn. On the other hand, the crop growers are loving it.
Old April 13th, 2007, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

You make a great point biglg! I do feel for thebeef farmersthat can't afford the increasing prices of corn. I guess their best bet would be to startraising corn crops of their own, enough to feed the cattle and enough to make some extra profit selling to the ethanol plants. But this is not always possible. I guess we need to find another source of fuel that doesn't effect of as domestically as this does.
Old April 13th, 2007, 7:27 PM
Administrator

So when these very same farmers that are now raising this $10+/bushel (currently ~ $4/bushel) corn to feed their cattle and sell them for $5/lb (currently ~ $1.50/lb), you will pay $30 for a T-bone and $50 for a fillet. Actually what's currently happening is a lot of farmers are selling their cattle (including dairy) at all time high prices. Soon there will be a shortage of beef and the price will go up at the store.

FYI: Most farmers that are in the business of raising cattle aren't going to have the land or the capital to also raise corn.

Also forgot to mention hydroelectric power previously. The greens wouldn't want to kill the frogs or whatever.
Old April 13th, 2007, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

E85 is currently $0.40 cheaper than regular (E10) here in MN. Most gas stations have E85 pumps around here. I've read that E85 has about 72% of the useful energy of gasoline in a flex-fuel vehicle, so the price should be 28% less per gallon. It rarely is around here. I haven't tried it in my 2004 Tahoe yet - but I would if the value gap was less.

Todays prices.
Gas price/gal = $2.79
E85 price/gal = $2.39 (should be about $2.00 with energy value adjustment)
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I'm sure that there is any relationship between energy content and the price of various fuels. In the case of ethanol, there is currently a $ .52/gallon subsidy. Now that corn prices are starting their meteoric rise,ethanol won't be far behind unless the feds increase the subsidy.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think that the price of E85 or gasoline is calculated based on it's energy content although excise tax is based on E85's energy content.

Quick Reply: Ethanol at Pearson Fuel Depot