Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Exit Lighting Question....

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exit Lighting Question....

Can someone tell me who's bright idea it was to have the Reverse lights go on with Exit and Approach lighting, and can it be changed so exit lighting works without the reverse lights? It actually causes problems in parking lots. People stop and wait thinking I'm about to back out of the spot when I've just pulled into it... More than once, people have actually stopped, and watch me get out of the car, unload the baby's stoller and load the baby into the stroller before realizing that I'm not backing out of the spot.

Because of this I've turned exit lighting off even though I would like it on. Any suggestions?
Old May 6th, 2008, 3:11 AM
CF Beginner

I have tried the exit mirror lights on our 07 Suburban, and 07 Tahoe. They both do
the same light up only when unlocking with remote.

All GMs, and some other brands have the reverse lights light up when you exit the vehicle.
It is to help you see behind the car. I would not worry about others thinking you are backing
out, if they sit there and watch you while you are out of your vehicle, I would worry about
their frame of mind.
Old May 8th, 2008, 4:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the manual you can only set the amount of time or turn it off. You can't select which lights. I would suggest the 30 second setting. They will figure it out soon enough that way.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they're dumb enough to think you're backing up, when they can clearly see that you're outside of the vehicle and walking away, I would worry about THEM, not my lights. I woule leave them set. As long as someone thinks you're backing up, they'll leave you room to walk. It's a safety feature I can live with.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: BMoTahoe

If they're dumb enough to think you're backing up, when they can clearly see that you're outside of the vehicle and walking away, I would worry about THEM, not my lights. I woule leave them set. As long as someone thinks you're backing up, they'll leave you room to walk. It's a safety feature I can live with.
Normally, I would agree with you... But in SoCal you never know who that freak job is... People go off the deep end for stupid stuff like this... I would be happy if there was an option to just have the break lights go on and not the reverse lights.
Old May 16th, 2008, 6:44 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL I say wait till they go out and when someone starts to walk behind the vehicle hit the button again to make them come back on!