Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Filling up with gas and kept shutting off...

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2007, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling up with gas and kept shutting off...

I just got this truck and the first time I went to fill it I nearly didn't. I moved the truck to a different pump at the gas station I go to all the time but it kept shutting off. I eventually just squeezed it in by hand. Didn't shut off then, only when I left it on the pumps own shut off system. I admit I've only went to this one station so far but I went to another pump with the same results. Are there any issues on this? I went underneath looking for a crimped hose but everything looked fine.

Thanks... Gary
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Filling up with gas and kept shutting off...

Over 26,000 miles on mine and haven't had this problem. Frankly, if this was widespread, I think we'd all hear about it by now; especially from all the Tahoe's stuck at gas stations without gas.
Old October 28th, 2007, 1:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he means the pump kept shutting off whenhe tried to lock the pump handle.

I have to use the second, slower, setting orthe pumpshuts off on me too. Nothing like standing by for ten minutes and watching the $s tick by.
Old October 28th, 2007, 1:12 AM
CF Active Member

That's what I mean. I couldn't even get the slow speed to not shut off but when I held it by hand which really shouldn't have made a difference it pumped without a problem. Not sure what's up but I figured if I posted it here I'd sure hear if it was common. Thanks for the replies.
Old October 28th, 2007, 1:46 AM
CF Active Member

Maybe when you manually pumped the fuel you held the nozzle at a different angle as opposed to using the auto stops whereby the nozzle leans against the lip of the fuel neck. Otherwise there shouldn't have been a difference, and it wouldn't have been an issue with the vehicle (but with the nozzle itself).

Whether fuelling manually or auto the nozzle kicks off because the air vent hole in the nozzle is no longer passing air (implying the nozzle is below fuel). Sometimes this happens when the fuel foams, which is why you can typically add more fuel after the nozzle kicks out. Whether the nozzle was manual, or set on a speed pre-select, the result would have been the same if it were the vehicle. Basically, you've got no problem to worry about. Maybe try another site next time as it could have been the nozzle type.
Old October 28th, 2007, 8:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I first got my 'hoe.

The fix is simple - be a bit more aggressive with the nozzle. It needs to be inserted from a higher angle and almost forced in as far as it will go. It has to do with the vapor recovery system on the nozzle - if too much air can get into it, it'll shut off.

At least you get to walk away from your nozzle when filling. In NY it's illegal to lock it engaged. It's even more illegal to put your gas cap in the handlt to keep it going.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
CF Active Member

I think the last post hit on it. I tried every conceivable angle and speed setting the pump would give me but once I jammed it in as far as it would go and squeezed it at full speed by hand it went without a problem. I guess different manufactured pumps will have different results so I'll probably develop favorite places to gas up.

Thanks again for all the replies...
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: guvner

I jammed it in as far as it would go and squeezed it at full speed by hand it went without a problem.
I have found this works very well. Works every time.
Old October 30th, 2007, 7:55 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: engine2

ORIGINAL: guvner

I jammed it in as far as it would go and squeezed it at full speed by hand it went without a problem.
I have found this works very well. Works every time.
That's what she said.