Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ford MyTouch makes GM Nav look like 6yr old's video game.

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2010, 7:38 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ford MyTouch makes GM Nav look like 6yr old's video game.

http://www.carthrottle.com/ford-debu...myford-system/

Drop that in a Ford F-150 Raptor, and you will see my Tahoe for sale the same day.
Old January 11th, 2010, 8:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and why are we posting FORD products on a Chevy forum?
Old January 11th, 2010, 9:33 AM
CF Addict

Default well

To professionally debate the current and future of GM, Ford, or other automotive technologies via a fact based discussion.

The Ford MyTouch; 1 8" Screen + 2 4.2" Screens + easy to use, applications, amazing voice interface.

The GM Nav in my Tahoe: Voice commands don't work, can't be fixed (I settled for $940 cash), input's can't be done while rolling, address finding is SLOW due to being DVD based. can't customize screen display. Bluetooth doesn't show caller NAME on dash or head unit like ford or chrysler. Also, the GM Nav should have HVAC controls built into it... it does not.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; January 11th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 5:02 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's keep the topic on the track of the pros and cons of the GM Nav system as opposed to other manufactures, such as I wish GM offered this. We are not supposed to bash Chevy here. Okie Dokie?
Old January 11th, 2010, 5:14 PM
CF Veteran

kinda my thinkin. every company will always have somethin the others don't. that's what forums are for. hence the name of this one. chevy ENTHUSIASTS.
Old January 11th, 2010, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Ford system is impressive. Maybe Chevy will take a good look at it and upgrade their stuff soon. Unfortunately that won't help any of us.

IMO unless a radio like the Ford MyTouch comes standard, don't bother! Get the base radio and if you want to upgrade in the future, buy aftermarket. I got rear camera, navi, bluetooth, ipod ,satellite, etc, all the goodies on my Kenwood.
Old January 12th, 2010, 7:16 AM
CF Addict

Default Topic

The intention is not to 'bash' any manufacture, simply compare vehicle systems across all available platforms. Factual information is not a bash, but an open discussion. GM can either get moving on systems better than Fords, because simply matching them today will leave them behind next year, or they can forget selling vehicles to anyone of my generation (born after 1980, and who grew up with computers). The idea of an LCD screen on the dash (driver's cluster) is amazing, it can show any guage any time, or anything... your not limited to an idiot light or one static guage that can only show one thing (unless you want to just see that). (and no, Ford did not have this first, but I do not know who did). Lexus uses it in their new LFA.

The new Land Rover has an amazing head unit. It was shown on Top Gear, where the SAME screen in the center stack shows two FULL SCREEN images. From the passenger's seat, it's playing a DVD movie. From the driver's seat it's showing navigation. on the SAME screen! How cool is that? It also shows about 4-6 cameras from all over the vehicle to assist 4-wheeling and turning... distracting, but very cool.

Now that we have power windows, seats, remote start, power trunks, and everything except a hot tub... this is where the market is headed. Who can pack the most tech (and make it useable) in a vehicle...

The Volt's new iphone app is a GREAT start from GM. I would have never expected that from them. Now I want one for my Tahoe... the phone has bluetooth, the car has BT... I would like to be able to change settings, view information, etc, from my phone...

I would agree w/the base radio + upgrades, but sometimes getting all that stuff to work 100% is just a PITA... does your radio work w/the steering wheel buttons? Does it mute when you get a call? (and why can't I unmute if I want)?!

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; January 12th, 2010 at 7:20 AM.
Old January 12th, 2010, 9:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my Kenwood radio is fully integrated with the steering wheel controls, onstar, chimes, etc... I made sure to do the homework because I wanted everything to work properly.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the Ford system. It is impressive and looks great. What I meant was that hopefully it will force Chevy to up their game and offer a similar system as standard equipment in the future. I just hate paying for over-priced upgrades from the dealer. I'm not cheap, I just don't think alot of the factory upgrades are worth it especially when you got awesome stuff from Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer out there. Plus, I like tinkering and modding. If I get a great radio like the Ford, I won't be able satisfy my urge to rip it out and change it!

Last edited by Rich E; January 12th, 2010 at 9:54 AM.
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

one small detail tho, as stated above, this is a site for people who love the bowtie. a place to discuss everything about the bowtie. other sites provide forums that are better suited to discuss and debate all manufactures and their "toys". we'll keep this site strictly for chevy.
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
CF Addict

Default After Market

I agree, I love to tinker w/stuff and create solutions, I do miss the bass my old truck had from 3 10" subs... It's just nice to get a factory stamp of approval and warrenty on the whole thing sometimes... Sometimes it's also hard to justify huge upgrades later as well since they aren't rolled into the main 'auto loan'...

I'm glad you got it all working, so it clearly can be done! There are many things my GM Nav lacks that would be great to do after market... Does anyone after market offer LCDs for the dash yet?

The simple fact that my dash shows the caller ID number vs a NAME is so wrong... seriously, what 90 year old came up w/that solution?

Quick Reply: Ford MyTouch makes GM Nav look like 6yr old's video game.