Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Frequency interference

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2019, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequency interference

pulled up to a frequency controlled gate at a community. When gate signal was activated Tahoe died. Researched at found out that gates operate at 300 MHz and remote start at @ 315 MHz. Close enough to get a stop signal
Old January 22nd, 2019, 10:06 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait, no way. I can remotely shut off Tahoe's with a $10 toy? That would be so fun (and dangerous)... more testing please!

Does engine shut off from the remote work if the vehicle is NOT in park? I'd hope not....
Old January 22nd, 2019, 1:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by grand bayou
pulled up to a frequency controlled gate at a community. When gate signal was activated Tahoe died. Researched at found out that gates operate at 300 MHz and remote start at @ 315 MHz. Close enough to get a stop signal
Yeah, no.

So what happens when you press the remote start button when the truck is running with the ignition on? Nothing. The "stop signal" only shuts it down if it's in remote start, and then, honestly, I'm not buying the interference thing, either.

Try to repeat it, and take video. Then I'll believe it.

Millions of Tahoes/Yukons out there, millions of devices that operate at/near that frequency, and you're the first one to have this problem?
Old January 22nd, 2019, 2:19 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Always remember that correlation is not causation.
Old January 24th, 2019, 3:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
wait, no way. I can remotely shut off Tahoe's with a $10 toy? That would be so fun (and dangerous)... more testing please!

Does engine shut off from the remote work if the vehicle is NOT in park? I'd hope not....

Yeah that pretty much sums up my thoughts...would I say it's completely impossible..no, plausible, yes, repeatable, probably not. With both mine, and my wifes dodge, I believe I have gotten a random hit of Locking and setting off the alarm in a parking garage, but it only happened once each, and couldn't be repeated...
Old January 25th, 2019, 12:50 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grand bayou
I wouldn't doubt the possibility, but I would need more evidence to verify the cross-signal contamination. What happens if you press your remote near the gate? Does the gate open?

I don't know how many remember AM radio, but it was a pretty good chore to locate the center of the signal, and even when it was dead on, a trucker with a CB radio could pretty much obliterate and walk all over the signal with a "Breaker break, good buddy, ya got yer ears on?" Entirely different frequency.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the auto manufacturers and police are working in conjunction to create a way to remotely shut down a vehicle to prevent high-speed chases and attempts to escape and elude. You can do a search on YouTube for "bait cars." It's still pretty rudimentary, but don't think for a moment that there are millions of secret codes, for millions of cars. It's a cost-prohibitive fantasy, based in marketing to the gullible. Remember ABS? It's supposed to decrease stopping distance and avoid accidents. The problem is the guy behind the ABS car who doesn't have the technology, and now cannot stop in the slam-on brake world we live in. In that case, the solution creates problems the pillow-cloudy "safety" engineers didn't envision occurring on Planet Reality during rush-hour commuting.

I just unlocked a late model Chevy Astrovan with my gas-cap key, double-cut and fancy. It took less than 15 seconds, and I have absolutely no training, but in this case, I rescued a stupid friend who locked their keys inside the thing. I suspect a remote garage door-lift could be tweaked internally to broadcast, say @ 315 MHz, and then used in a parking lot to see how many cars it would open / start. Some would start, some would open, and some would do both. Now, if I could just find a Radio Shack around here somewhere . . .
Old January 25th, 2019, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback

just happened the one time and after dark. That’s about the only time the gate is shut. Just seems so coincidental that the vehicle completely shut off for a split second and then the lights came back on and it was easily restarted. All this in the moment before the gate started to open.
Old January 26th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

1-transmitters have rolling secured codes...otherwise any gm transmitter could shut off any gm vehicle that its not programmed for...there are millions of different codes
2-for a transmitter to shut off the vehicle it would have to be in remote start mode....with the key in run...transmitters can't override it.
3-factory remote start systems can shut down the system for low fuel or any stored powertrain dtc...check engine light on?