Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front A/C warm back A/C cold

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2009, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front A/C warm back A/C cold

I've got a '99 K2500 Suburban and the front A/C blows warm air while the back A/C blows cold air. I took it to a local dealer today and I think they shotgun troubleshot it. They said I needed a compressor and all the other parts that are usually replaced when you replace a compressor. The estimate is over $1,400. When I asked how it could be a compressor he just told me that I could always just come and get my truck.

Any advice?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old June 30th, 2009, 7:33 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum. First don't ever go back to that guy. What did he think that there was two compressors, one for front and one for the rear?

My guess is the divertor door that allow air flow thru the heater core is not working.
Old June 30th, 2009, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice. Believe me, I won't go back to that Chevrolet Dealer again.

How can I check this "divertor door" and where is it located?

Thanks again!
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Can't help you there but it's in the ductwork somewhere. Maybe someone else can chime in. Might be a few days since holiday weekend.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Get this guys, the dealer might not have been pulling my chain after all. When I went to pick up my burb, the service manager told me that his mechanic told him that sometimes those dual A/C systems will blow cold air out the front or back and warm air out the other when it is very low on Freon. They purged, recharged and added die to my system and when I drove it home, both front and back were working well. (Cold) I'll keep you informed if the problem comes back when the Freon leaks out.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

I believe he is right also. Mine has a leak and does that when it gets down to about 28 PSI on the low side. The 99 and like models with the HT6 compressor are belly leakers. Alot of people don't realize that even cracking the bolts on that compressor can cause issues. The reason is because this compressor is actually 4 pieces with 4 long screws running front to back keeping it all together. In between each piece is a seal. When you remove the compressor, or crack it loose for whatever reason, and then put it back, if the mounting base is not level it will twist the 4 parts and make the seal leak. I know, that's what happened to mine when I replaced the lower manifold gaskets. Anyways, just what little I know.
Note: I could actually see the puddle of freon underneath the belly of the compressor on the mounting bracket. It has green leak sealer and that's why I could see it.
Old December 27th, 2009, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

hey i had too much oil in my system take it to a shop have them pressure check it to see if you have a leak go to someone you trust tho people always try to take advantage of you i had to change my low side high side assembly and i put a new compressor didnt have to change everything cause the machine sucks everything out and recharges without wasting freon so go to a trusted shop i have a 98 chevy suburban
Old March 23rd, 2011, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Red face 99 Suburban temperature actuator replacement

I have a 99 suburban 1500 and warm air comes out of the front and cold air out the back vents. I have added to $20 freon cans and it just got a little colder but not much. I also have the 4 1999 shop manuals and reading it says to the "TEMPERATURE ACTUATOR REPLACEMENT" included a scan of the actual shop manual schematic.
Advance Auto Parts calls it: "Air blend door actuator" $47.99 PN# 604-107
It is located in the passenger compartment, on the front of the heater case.
Would replacing this part will fix my problem, how difficult a job is this one?
My son seats in the back and gets all the cold air while my wife and I roast in the front and Florida is getting hotter.
Attached Thumbnails Front A/C warm back A/C cold-99-temp-actuator-replacement.jpg  
Old June 21st, 2012, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default 03 chevy tahoe

my tahoe rear ac blowing ice cold but front blows cool for a few min. then goes warm any one have this problem don t know where to start??

thank you, stuart
Old July 18th, 2014, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

My 1999 suburban had very poor front ac. after changing the compressor, changing the orifice and the dryer. still had the problem. finally after much frustration I removed the blower motor and used a scope camera and low and behold, the evaparator coill was completely clogged with scuzz. this particular model of suburban did not have a cabin air filter. so, it's something that you should check and possiblly save some time.

Quick Reply: Front A/C warm back A/C cold