Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

Okay, I'm convinced. A full cat back set up would be nice but I can probably get most of the benefits at half the price if I stick with a muffler swap (for now). I currently have a Flowmaster 40 series with the stock resonator. It sounds great but a little to hollow sounding for my taste. b1pig, thanks for the sound clip. Your '04 sounds awesome with the 40 series but I want to try something different.

Tomorrow I'm having the resonator removed and will replace the Flowmaster 40 series with either a Flowmaster 70 series big blog II or a Magnaflow universal muffler. I've heard good things about both. Any final thoughts? Of course I don't want the obnoxious droning noise but I want to make sure it still sounds nice and strong while idling. The Maganflow sound clips on their web site sound pretty quiet at idle.
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does it sound like when you just remove the stock resonator?
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

I haven't heard it without the resonator yet. I initially swapped the stock muffler for the flowmaster 40 series and kept the resonator on. I would definitely recommend this set up to other people. It really does sound great and with the resonator it's not that bad inside while on the highway. I just want to try something new.
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:58 PM
CF Addict

b1pig,

SOunds good. HOwever the noise in the cab would be way to much for me. Kids and a wife! It sounds pretty truckish, or kinda like a drag car! That sound is ok for some, just not me. I would get a magnaflow myself, it is a tad more mellow and a little different sound. To each their own!
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

the actual exhaust isnt loud at all.

I recorded that clip on a IPAQ at the edge of my carport. I did that to compensate for how microphones always lack the "real" sound. It actually turned out nearly perfect. What you hear is what you get.... though it sounds super loud, it really isnt that bad.

The droning has nothing to do with the audible output. It is the resonance from the muffler/exhaust under the floor of the truck. My floor vibrates from the firewall to the rear cargo area. I was advised by a friend that even though I wrapped the muffler, I may try wrapping the whole exhaust. The guy has a Honda S2000 with a full aftermarket exhaust. he said that wrapping the whole system reduced all of the interior exhaust resonance..... his car being a convertible is pretty interesting, too.

Good luck on the results. The wife likes the way the Tahoe sounds from outside but she hates the drone also. I had a file of that thing excellerating from about 25-80 mph inside the truck. Cant find it, though. If I do, I'll post it just for my own personal gratification.
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
CF Active Member

b1pig, luv the sound of your 'hoe. have u wrapped the full exhaust yet? 'cause your truck sounds the same as my summer truck (40 series as well), and with the floor of the box cut 2 clear the diff, i do get some reverberation against the back cab wall-i can live with the sound, but the metallic "zzzzzzzzzzzz" does grate on u after a while.
saw your site, pretty good. word of advice regarding the tow hooks u installed-don't rely on them too much. i broke both tow hooks on my friend's '05, 3/4 ton 2wd p/u trying to pull him up a 3% grade in the snow ( i ended up going behind him and pushed). maybe the hooks were defective (both?), maybe they've redesigned them. i don't know though, they still look the same. i just giving caution 2 u, as i wouldn't wan't 2 see anyone get hunt by a flying chain or tow strap, or even possibly hitting the truck pullin' u out-that would suck big time!
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

thx for the info on the hook. they were a bolt-on, and have a good hooking point. the worst stuff the Tahoe sees is muddy dirt roads... lucky me. So far, all i have had to use em for was to drag a big stump.

I haven't wrapped the exhaust yet. The cost of the wrap is setting me back at the moment... along with Jeep parts.
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: marsalisjr

Okay, I'm convinced. A full cat back set up would be nice but I can probably get most of the benefits at half the price if I stick with a muffler swap (for now). I currently have a Flowmaster 40 series with the stock resonator. It sounds great but a little to hollow sounding for my taste. b1pig, thanks for the sound clip. Your '04 sounds awesome with the 40 series but I want to try something different.

Tomorrow I'm having the resonator removed and will replace the Flowmaster 40 series with either a Flowmaster 70 series big blog II or a Magnaflow universal muffler. I've heard good things about both. Any final thoughts? Of course I don't want the obnoxious droning noise but I want to make sure it still sounds nice and strong while idling. The Maganflow sound clips on their web site sound pretty quiet at idle.

See my above post. I now have the Flowmaster 70 series Big Block II and LOVE IT. There is no drone on the highway like my Magnaflow had. I'm not knocking magnaflow, but it wasn't for me. The Flowmaster is perfect for what I need.
Old November 10th, 2006, 2:33 PM
CF Active Member

The big block II is what Flowmaster recommends for the '07.
Old November 10th, 2006, 3:47 PM
CF Addict

Does anyone have a sound clip of this Big Block II? Also, how much louder is it in the cab from factory exhaust?

Did you guys just install it on the factory tailpipe?

Quick Reply: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade