Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2006, 3:59 PM
davemec

Default RE: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

ORIGINAL: Gapp

The big block II is what Flowmaster recommends for the '07.
Is this the 70 series or the 50 series?

When I listen to the clips on their site, the 50 series sounds a little quieter to me than the 70 series. Although I've read that the 70 series is the quietest that Flowmaster makes.
Old November 10th, 2006, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rep said it was the 70 series for SUV's and full size trucks, etc.
Old November 10th, 2006, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, I just got back from my muffler shop. They took the Flowmaster 40 series and my stock resonator off and installed a Magnaflow SUV universal muffler and a chrome tip. It sounds great but completely different. He wasn't able to get the Flowmaster 70 series until next week so I tried this one. Even without the resonator it's much quieter than the Flowmaster 40 and I'm guessing the 70 as well. When you give it gas it has a really strong performance engine sound that is very solid. Since the Flowmaster mufflers are hollow you end up with a hollow throaty sound. They both sound nice, it's just depends on what you're looking for. This sounds a bit more refined and fitting to an SUV. I have to admit that I am disappointed that when the car is idling you barely notice the sound. I was getting use to the Flowmaster growl. I'd say the Magna flow web site sound clip of the Chevy AV is pretty accurate sounding. I'd love to hear a clip of the Flowmaster 70 series if anyone has one. Does it really sound like the clip on the Flowmaster web site?
Old November 10th, 2006, 7:40 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marsalis,

Did you contact magnaflow to get the muffler part numer they include in their kit? Which magnaflow muffler did you put on?

Sounds like you dont like it as well?
Old November 10th, 2006, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

biglg,

There are things I like about both the Magnaflow and the Flowmaster. They're both just totally different. I'd like the Flowmaster for the weekend when I'm cruising around with the windows down. It's loud and in your face. You hear and feel it every time you touch the gas, no matter how lightly. I'm a sales rep for IBM and spend a lot of time during the week with customers in my Tahoe. The Magnaflow is a better fit for that. It's much more reserved sounding. It's definitely powerful sounding and when you hit it you know you've got a big engine working hard but when you're just driving conservatively you don't notice it as much as the Flowmaster. I'd like something in between the two mufflers. If that's the Flowmaster 70 series I'd love to hear it. The clip on their web site sounds pretty gnarly.

To answer your question, I contacted Magnaflow via email and asked them for the part number for the muffler they use in their cat back. They came back with the measurements (single 3 inch in x single 3 inch out). Unlike Flowmaster they don't really have different mufflers for different sounds so as long as the number of inputs and outputs are correct and the size of those opening is correct you're in business. I had my muffler guy just order the one that fit. Single in single out, both 3 inch I believe. I don't know the model number.

I can still swap this out for the 70 series so if any one has a clip I'd love to hear it.
Old November 10th, 2006, 8:11 PM
CF Addict

marsalis,

I agree with your comments when comparing magnaflow and flowmaster.

However, the difference in magnaflow mufflers is the same as flowmaster.

Magnaflows have different shaped casings, and they also have different size casings, smaller and larger. You can change the sound by getting differnt sizes and different shapes. I am going to call them to get the muffler #. If your muffler is a different size then theirs it will make a difference. I will call them now.
Old November 10th, 2006, 8:18 PM
CF Addict

12579 is the non polished, and 14579 is the polished. This is the largest muffer they make. They said that you might go to a 5x8 to get the sound you are looking for, maybe part 12249. I have always had the 5x8 myself! However, they put the numbers listed above in their kit so that must be what they thought had the best overall sound and/or performance for the vehicle.
Old November 10th, 2006, 8:24 PM
CF Addict

Part 12579 is $92 shipped at performancepeddler.com, 12249 is $70 shipped. That is with forum pricing! Pretty cheap i think.
Old November 10th, 2006, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for looking those up. That's a really good price. How do you get their forum discount? They have the Flowmaster 70 series at $125 without a forum discount.
Old November 10th, 2006, 8:38 PM
CF Addict

When you go to their website type in dtworld in the wholesale login in the top right of the home page! It is a dodge forum pricing i used when i had dodges. It will log you out after a while so make sure you are always logged in for forum pricing. You can get another $10 off if you post their info on a website. I have never done this, i just read it when I looked those up! THat is new.

Quick Reply: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade