Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

G80 diff

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2011, 6:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G80 diff

I changed my rear diff oil today and when i pulled the pan off i saw what looked to be some kind of limited slip so i added 4oz of the friction modifier and 2.5 qts of mobil 1 75w-90 after doing some research i found its is a EATON g80 locker (cool i have a locker) will the friction modifier damage this unit?does it require it? the book doesn't say,this will come in handy at the boat ramp

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I doubt it. It just makes a posi-traction unit not chatter when cornering.
Old April 17th, 2011, 3:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks shark,i see mixed reveiws on how durable they are it seems when the truck used in stock form there fine but any heavy wheeling and they can fail, not to worried i use 4x4 on the boat ramp anyway and if i want to go wheeling i'll go in my tacoma

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
I doubt it. It just makes a posi-traction unit not chatter when cornering.

I dont mean to Hijack your thread, but i had a similar kind of question and figured i would post it on here. This chatter you talk about? I was kind of curious if you could explain that a little bit. I have my 91 suburban with 11" of lift and 35" tires, this is my first "Big" mud truck and I dont have alot of experience with lifted trucks or big tires, but I just fixed the four wheel drive and went to test it out, and i was on an asphalt road, and it was jumping all over the place, it slows itself to a stop, if I turn I get a groan from the front axle, But the minute i take it on a gravel road or in the mud, it stops completely, I asked my father about it and he said it was normal, and its not that i doubt him, i just wanted a little more professional opinion. If you could help me out or give me some insight on what to expect with a big truck such as this, i would really appreciate it.

-Travis
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator

A posi-trac diff has a spring-loaded clutch stack and if it doesn't have the proper additive in the lube, the clutches tend to stick and break loose when the vehicle is not going in a straight line. This manifests itself as a "chatter" feel. The additive provides the correct coefficient of friction and allows the clutches to slip when excessive loading is applied as when turning a corner but stick when one wheel hits a slick spot.
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4x4

"but I just fixed the four wheel drive and went to test it out, and i was on an asphalt road, "

Please tell me you are not 'testing' 4 wheel drive on an asphalt road...
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
"but I just fixed the four wheel drive and went to test it out, and i was on an asphalt road, "

Please tell me you are not 'testing' 4 wheel drive on an asphalt road...
I wasnt tearing around on the asphalt, I just needed a steady smooth surface to feel the bumps and grinding if there was any, which there wasnt. But it didnt feel quite right when I had it in 4x4 on the asphalt. What im trying to say best is that my father has a 95 Silverado and he can throw it in 4x4 anywhere he wants to, he did it on the asphalt the other day too, just to see if it worked and his truck didnt do any of the stuff my truck did, and i just wanted to see if it was normal for a big truck with big tires to act differently than a stock truck. And what can i expect with a big lifted truck, that i probably wouldnt see on a regular truck.

-Travis
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Every 4X4 I've tested on asphalt would buck a little when turning sharp corners including this one.