Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ghost in the machine

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2015, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghost in the machine

2005 Suburban. Vehicle has many electrical problem. All manner of warning messages come up (check tire pressure sensor is one), when starting vehicle it may or may not go into 4WD and the lights on the switch on the dash may or may not light up, door locks in the back wont unlock when using front driver side switch. At the local dealer they changed the 2WD/4WD switch on the dash, some other item on the 4WD differential...then the entire 4WD differential (didn't fix the problem). I think there is some sort of dead wire that keeps proper voltage from getting to all of this. The alternator has been replaced to see if this was the problem (nope), new battery too. I eventually had the dealer make sure it was in 2WD and just pull the fuse so it is now a 2WD vehicle. They said a representative from Chevy couldn't figure things out (I don't really believe them because that manager got the boot 3 months later). I have spent a ton and hope this won't be my last suburban but if I can't figure this out...it probably will be.
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just a guess, but, it sounds like your ride has been (very) wet at some point. Like high water wet. I first approach would be to go through ALL the ground Cables (there are several). Take apart, scrub with a wire brush, replace tightly.
Old April 18th, 2015, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I was going for, I started checking and cleaning and maybe I might add some others temporarily. It should be easy to tell when I fix the problem because even the fuel gauge is messed up (when it is full it sometimes reads WAY over full..and then I can restart the vehicle and it reads empty). I also wonder if there is some sort of electronic brain that all of this goes through. Oh for the days of my 60' Belair. I owned this vehicle for several years before this problems appeared and the only water problem I ever had was when someone left the sunroof slightly open but the sliding cover closed and water came into the vehicle and down the sides of the vehicle via the headliner.
Old April 18th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnny bones
I also wonder if there is some sort of electronic brain that all of this goes through.
Absolutely !, there is an extensive application of Computer related functions on ALL recent vehicles.