Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

More than 40 error codes (DTC) on the Tech 2 machine...

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More than 40 error codes (DTC) on the Tech 2 machine...

I have a 2007 Yukon XL (build date 9-11-06) that came from the factory with the 9 speaker Bose audio system with DVD/CD/MP3 (UVA), and rear entertainment package. I've since added the OEM navigation head-unit, (still haven't hooked up the VSS wire though), GMLockPick Gen 2, OEM reverse camera, TV tuner, and the Neucleus NC-X2iLAN for iPod.

As I've mentioned in other posts here, GM considers even OEM parts as aftermarket, at least when it comes to the stereo system. (Not sure about all areas of the vehicle.) I was told this by GM, 2 different departments at that. So anytime a service department enters my VIN into the system it's going to come up with the original equipment, and consider everything else aftermarket.

So today I took the truck to the dealership to do the Jimmi Jammer install. (If you don't have these on your truck www.JimmiJammer.com do an Internet search on them, do a search on this forum or www.cadillacforums.com/forums and read how easy it is to break into GM trucks.) Anyway while the truck was there I decided to have them do the TIS update since my stereo sometimes doesn't come on when I start the truck. (There are other posts here taking about 2007 Tahoe's radio units not powering up.) This was happening BEFORE I changed out the head-unit and continued to do it after. (I think it has something to do with the remote start.)

The Tech 2 machine came up with over 40 errors. I tried to get them to print them up for me, but that wasn't happening, and they wouldn't let me talk with the tech. Here's exactly what is written on my invoice:

"Vehicle has over 40 DTC's, from open to shorted circuits, and loss of communication in multiple modules, due to "aftermarket" ACC installed, and is conflicting with the vehicle control modules."

They wanted to keep working to diagnose it, but I told them I'd come back when I had more time.

So now the questions:

Was it the GMLockPick that was causing the error codes? (Hoping this is the sole reason.) Should I have gone with it disconnected?
Was it a "technician error" while using the Tech 2 machine since the TIS updates under my VIN would not have the extras that I added?
Was it the Neucleus NC-X2iLAN since it uses the XM module?

Thoughts? Any other hypotheses?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: More than 40 error codes (DTC) on the Tech 2 machine...

Dam,
I am interested to know also. I wonder if I have any from the Nav upgrade? Would these show up on the onstar report?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM
CF Senior Member

No they won't show up on the Onstar report.

My advise would be to try to get your TIS update before you do anything else. You're going to have to say that something is wrong with your radio to get the update though since the dealership says they don't just do updates for the sake of doing them. (Can't stand the frickin' dealership service departments! Lazy, and ignorant!)
Old January 3rd, 2007, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

based on my experience with the module intensive Audi's when i hooked up a turbo timer to my A4 and when i ran the reader, i would get ground fault errors and all that. It's common and I'm not surprised to read that they blame it on that stuff, the best way is to remove things systematically and see if you can get the codes.

It's too bad that there's no one that sells the ECU reader like this company VAG-com they make the ECU reader that you plug into the OBDII port to scan, read, and clear fault codes.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Yeah, that's good stuff there foofighter.

Once I'm back in my hometown I'm going to hit up a guy who is a GM tech. That's the only way to really get anything done, just having a "hook-up". I'm sure what I went through today was just lack of experience on the technician's part, more than anything else. I'm sure it's just another example of people that aren't capable of thinkin' "outside the box". Every service department has that ONE tech, that's probably even a member of this forum, (ha, ha), and can take care of the problem.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:06 AM
CF Beginner

LOL no ****! I had a couple of techs that became friends at the vw/audi dealer because they thought outside of the box instead of just reading what the dam computer spits out. It's really frustrating to go through that and not be able to talk to the person. it's good that you have a hook up back home because trying to establish a good relationship w/ the techs is getting harder and harder because they keep them out of site and you deal w/ the service writer.

That's one thing that i dont like about modern cars, they have too many nanny's you cant fart in your car without it throwing a DTC LOL
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:09 AM
CF Senior Member

LOL!!!! Yeah, I hear you. I know when I had my Ford it was ALL GOOD. They treated me like VIP. The dude I know back home I'm just going to have to bring him some beer and I should be straight.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:17 AM
CF Beginner

haha you and me think alike. I would ask them what beer they liked to drink. And when i had them do some "warranty" work to check on my exhaust noise (installed new exhaust for me) in the trunk next to the new exhaust was a sixer of newcastle

Or if it was later on in the evening when i pick up the ride...it was pizza or chicken.

BTW for those reading this is a great way to get to know your techs too FOOD!!!! hehe
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:28 AM
CF Senior Member

It is so true this goes across the board with anything you're trying to do. I also work in the entertainment industry so I try to always have some swag available.

I just really want to get to the bottom of this situation though. Nothing is really wrong with my truck, but now it's just the challenge factor that has kicked in. I'm really hoping some of the tech guys on the forum will kick in on the topic. I've got beer!!!! LOL.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:55 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: foofighter

It's too bad that there's no one that sells the ECU reader like this company VAG-com they make the ECU reader that you plug into the OBDII port to scan, read, and clear fault codes.
Not positive, but I think the SUperchips Flashpaq will read and tell you the codes!

Quick Reply: More than 40 error codes (DTC) on the Tech 2 machine...