Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

good deal on 2500 suburban?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2013, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good deal on 2500 suburban?

went to look at a 2003 2500 suburban with 88k miles for 11k.
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LT For Sale In Lindenhurst NY - Sunrise Used Cars INC

going to look at it again tuesday and bring it to my friend on a lift. anyting to look for
Old March 18th, 2013, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

195 views and no reply..thanks for the help lol
Old March 18th, 2013, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

The truck looks pretty clean. On the 2003's the items that I would focus on are:

- Has the truck been repainted? If so what was the reason?
- Where is the truck from? If it is from NY, where winters can be harsh, I would be checking all steel brake lines. It is very common for these to rust out, especially near the main frame below the master cylinder.
- Check if the truck has a spare tire and all emergency equipment. Make sure that the spare tire lowers. Unfortunately, it isn't much fun trying to get them down, when they are totally seized.
- Check the rocker panels. Make sure that they are solid and look for repairs to the rocker area. They rust out very easily in this area.
- Look at all light covers and look for signs of sun damage and cracking.
- Take a look at the instrument cluster. It would be nice to see if you can run the VIN and see if this was replaced. There were GM campaigns for replacement of the cluster. It would be nice to see the full maintenance record on the truck.
- Look for any instrument lights. ABS is common.
- look at the normal things like oil color, coolant and power steering.
- When you drive the truck, listen for the steering shaft noise. There is a lube kit or replacement intermediate shaft that may need to be replaced. The steering shaft sounds squeaky, if the shaft needs the work.
- Listen to the front 4wd transfer case. Make sure that you do not heard any noise in 4wd. It should go into 4h / 4l and 2 without any trouble.
- Listen for wheel bearings. It is a common replacement part. The front hub is expensive, but is a job you can do yourself, as long as you take your time and have a good set of tools.
- Check the brakes. Make sure that they do not pull or have any pulsing.
- Find out if the water pump has been replaced?
- Check all of the normal wear items under the hood so you know what you have to do. Check all belts and hoses. Listen for drive belt idler pulley noise. The A/C belt tensioner often needs to be replaced, as it is mounted very low and gets the brunt on the weather on it.
- It is a 10 year old truck, so there will be things wrong with it, but hopefully you will make out ok.

Good luck with your trip to the dealer.
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

joeyg8gt: Welcome to the forum.

Check the under side of the oil fill cap for signs of water in the oil. Sort of looks like a gray jelly-like substance if water's present.

With your foot on the brake, shift from Reverse to Drive and back and listen for excessive driveline clunking.

Examine the exhaust system for holes or damage. Check fuel pressure if you can.

Check front and rear HVAC systems and any other accessories e.g. sunroof, DVD player, auto dimming mirrors, memory seats/pedals/mirrors, etc.
Old March 19th, 2013, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the replies guys. i took the truck td to my mechanic had it on the lift and the entire under cariage was what look like paintd over to hide all the rust tht the truck was covered in. the spare tire had rust all over it the control arms/ushings/shocks leaking oil everywhere not good so i broht it back and said goodluck. anyone know of any 2500 or pickups or suburbans/yukonxl send them my way please
Old March 19th, 2013, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I am glad that you had a good look at it. It is too bad that it didn't work out. There are lots of trucks out there and I am sure that you will find something that works for you.

Unfortunately buying something ten years old from the Northern States is a risk. Rust can be big problem and it will only cause you problems down the road. If possible, try and get something from the South where winters are more mild. The alternative is to find somthing that has been really well maintained from the North and been oil sprayed yearly.

Here are a few in South Carolina that may interest you.

Used Chevrolet Suburban For Sale Greenville, SC - CarGurus