Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GPS volume problem

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2013, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS volume problem

2012 Suburban LTZ
The nav system will not work independently from radio. No radio, no nav.
The nav voice commands do not mute the radio, so I have to run with the nav volume up all the way, which sounds scratchy, and the radio volume set at low.
Is this system messed up or is this the way it works. I seem to remember the nav working better than this, but then again I could be wrong.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Old March 14th, 2013, 4:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If you have the owners manual, check it for the settings
Old March 14th, 2013, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
If you have the owners manual, check it for the settings
Tried that, thanks. Just got it back from dealer and they talked to tech people at GM and no one had an answer. Their recommendation: Turn the GPS volume all the way up, the radio volume down, and ignore the road noises. Not what you want to hear on a $50K vehicle.
Old March 14th, 2013, 5:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor
Tried that, thanks. Just got it back from dealer and they talked to tech people at GM and no one had an answer. Their recommendation: Turn the GPS volume all the way up, the radio volume down, and ignore the road noises. Not what you want to hear on a $50K vehicle.
If this is under warrenty, don't take that for the answer MAKE THEM FIX IT!
Old March 14th, 2013, 8:01 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Professor: Welcome to the forum.

I agree w/ kevinkpk. I had my nav/radio replace because the cooling fan was noisy.
Old March 15th, 2013, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

The dealer ordered a new radio. They will install it next week. I just find it odd that this model does not mute the radio when GPS voice is active.
Old March 15th, 2013, 2:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Professor,

Please keep us posted of the results of the new radio when it is installed.

Feel free to contact me privately if you have additional questions or concerns.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Professor,

Please keep us posted of the results of the new radio when it is installed.

Feel free to contact me privately if you have additional questions or concerns.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Thanks. The dealer I go to is really customer oriented. This problem just baffles them, but they are working hard to fix it.
Old March 16th, 2013, 6:09 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

My Nav does turn down the radio volume when she's talking.

Bluetooth also turns down the HVAC fan when a call comes in.
Old March 18th, 2013, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
My Nav does turn down the radio volume when she's talking.

Bluetooth also turns down the HVAC fan when a call comes in.
My bluetooth turns things down, too. I wonder if we have the same infotainment system. I should get this replaced this week. I will post new results.