Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Grinding Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2019, 2:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
if the hub was slightly tweaked a little it might not affect the bearings but an alignment issue with the rotor making it rotate out of square. this would in turn cause it to rub the brake pads once or twice per rotation. its the only other thing that i can think of that might cause it to happen. might not even be your problem but might be worth checking out.

a quote that helps diagnose not so obvious issues
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes
I think you might be correct, Irish_alley. It does make very good sense to me.

The Sherlock Holmes quote is very similar, but not exactly so, to "Occam’s Razor".
Old October 26th, 2019, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. After looking into the idea of the hub bearing assembly being bad I actually found a video where a g8 had the same symptoms that I am having. I ordered a new hub bearing and installed it and I am unfortunately still having the problem. Once the hub assembly was off I didnt notice any crunchy sounds though the new one seemed to spin a little more freely.
The only thing I can think of is maybe in the 2 miles or so that I drove with the new pads and rotors before the new hub assembly, the rotor got warp though I'm not sure. I didnt drive it hard since at the time I was trying to break them in. I dont have any more time today but will take the rotor to a shop to get them checked out.
I am at my wits end on this. Any other suggestions? I'm almost at the point of taking it to a shop and letting them figure it out.