Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hamfisted rear wheel bearing removal. Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2024, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hamfisted rear wheel bearing removal. Need Advice.

2013 Tahoe Z71, 5.3, 10 bolt rear end. In the process of removing the rear right wheel bearing, I managed to damage the seal located just behind the roller bearing. The small (1.25" I think)bearing puller attachment kept centering itself when tightened and would pop out after a wack or 2 with the slide hammer. So I tried the medium attachment. I thought I had it seated in the correct spot but it was wedged in crooked and I ripped the inner rubberish seal that's just beyond the bearing. I have searched for replacement seal but i don't know it's official name. All diagrams I find via Google don't show any seal beyond the bearing and that has me worried. I am thinking the seal may be factory fit part of the whole rear axle housing. If that's the case, simply replacing the damaged seal is out of the question and pulling a used rear end off a comparable junk yard Tahoe/Yukon may be the only cost effective way to correct this mistake. I really hope that seal is replaceable as it sits. I will Attach some pix. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance for any help.
FYI. Bearing puller set was OEM brand from AutoZone. I ended up grinding a bit off the base tabs and rounding the face edges of the medium sized bearing puller attachment to get it to open up and seat correctly on the solid inner face of the bearing. My slide hammer was made by slipping a roughly 30" piece of 5/8 threaded rod inside a 20" piece of 3/4id smooth pipe, secured a bit front of center on both sides with large solid washers and nuts. For the weighted slide part I used a 8lb sledgehammer head. A butt end padded handle will be added for future use. This set up works best with a helper holding up back end so you can grab sledgehammer head with both hands and smash it. The sledgehammer head could also be temporary installed on a real slide hammer shaft for stubborn bearings.