Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hard hot start

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 5:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would change oil and check antifreeze and possibly flush it! Just some advice! Good Luck.
Old June 1st, 2009, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

Originally Posted by cherbini
So today, I pulled the vacuum hose off of the fuel pressure regulator *right after* I shut the motor down. A definite dribble of gas came out of there.

Is that it? Definitely seems like gas should never enter the vacuum system.

Thanks!

JC

Hello All,
I'm having the same exact proplem as cherbini.
Engine starts great 1st start up of the day, when hot starting it's difficult and stumbles then idles rough.
Question is which vacuum line are checking for fuel, the manual does a poor job explaining anything to do with the pressure regulator?
I would just like to verify before changing out the regulator.

Thanks!
Old June 1st, 2009, 2:07 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cherbini
thanks....definitely glad we figured it out. I've got a 5 hour trip over to San Diego on Friday, and have to cross Yuma and the dunes. It's hot out here right now, want to make sure she's on best behavior.

plugs and wires was a good bonus out of this too...

trans fluid and filter tomorrow.

Thanks!

JC
sounds like everything worked out for you and that's great!

Thou I will share that I have heard that doing big or extensive maintenance should always be performed weeks ahead or after a long trip.
I think the jist is that you don't want to go changing up a bunch of things prior to a big trip as that is when things are most likely to go south and mostly likely to strand you.
Old September 12th, 2015, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default I know this is dead but I wanted this info out for newbies.

I have a 1969 camaro which had a hot start problems for many years. I tried new radiator, thermostat, clutch fan, fan blade, carb spacer, insulating fuel lines and probably more things. In the end it was my ignition coil. When the coil is cool, the car starts and actually will test find on the meter. I forgot the true explanation but it had something to do with the heat causing expansion within the coil and causing a break in the circuit. Once the coil cools down it will start again. I replaced the coil 5 years ago and it just went out again. With the new coil in the car, it starts fine again after driving. I allow the car to sit for 5 minutes then i restarted it after the engine reaches 220 degrees on the temp gauge. Hope this helps some newbies to the classic car experience.
Old January 12th, 2022, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Suburban 1500 Lt 5.3 Hard start when hot after sitting for a bit.

I have the exact same problem as Cherbini.
Hard start and long cranking time after sitting a while but fine in the morning.
I have replaced everything known to man!
Fuel injectors, fuel filter ( 2 ) , fuel p regulator, spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump, SP wires, intake manifold gaskets, valve covers and gaskets, throttle body, TPS sensors, Not IAC because this is built into new throttle body!, Catalytic converter, Crank sensor, Camshaft sensor, evac line, pcv lines and sensor, map sensor and many more.
Everything associated with fuel system, i have replaced and am at a #***# loss! Still has a hiccup in the idle when idling, and still has the hard start after hot when sitting a while.

ANY IDEAS??
Old April 14th, 2022, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2001sub
I have the exact same problem as Cherbini.
Hard start and long cranking time after sitting a while but fine in the morning.
I have replaced everything known to man!
Fuel injectors, fuel filter ( 2 ) , fuel p regulator, spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump, SP wires, intake manifold gaskets, valve covers and gaskets, throttle body, TPS sensors, Not IAC because this is built into new throttle body!, Catalytic converter, Crank sensor, Camshaft sensor, evac line, pcv lines and sensor, map sensor and many more.
Everything associated with fuel system, i have replaced and am at a #***# loss! Still has a hiccup in the idle when idling, and still has the hard start after hot when sitting a while.

ANY IDEAS??
I'm dealing with the same exact issue as you and have replaced the same parts as well. About ready to drive this piece of junk in a ditch....I'm going to swap coils from another Truck and see what happens.

Also I've done a crank relearn which is supposed to done when you change the crank or cam sensor. It helped but still have the warm hard start and slight misfire, crank relearn could be your issue.
I'll report back if coils solve my issue.
Old April 15th, 2022, 8:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Cold start fine and hard hot start is classic symptom of a leaking injector as a cold motor doesn't mind extra fuel in it. Does it hot start better if gas pedal is held down halfway or more?
GM injectors? Aftermarket stuff is not reliable.
This is when a great scan tool comes into play to look at all 4 code families, fuel trims, etc. A high-end scan tool is a must today, more important than quality hand tools when working on modern computer-controlled vehicles to see what all the sensors are seeing and reporting. That's why shops spend the big bucks on them.